Hayward Aqua Rite Pro vs Aqua Plus

Jul 20, 2015
Newton, NJ
I'm getting quotes from pool builders and so far the 2 we've narrowed it down to propose 2 different SWG controllers.

1 proposes the Aqua Plus and the other the Aqua Rite Pro. The Hayward site is terrible trying to compare these things.

Our pool will be "simple". No water features. No spa. 2 speed pump. Neither PB is proposing Hayward lighting so any integration there would be minimal.

What's the REAL difference between these controllers?

ac

The Aqua Rite Pro is just a SWG that also has the Sense & Dispense sensors which allow you to automate pH addition (and ORP which we do not recommend).

The AquaPlus is a full automation system that has timers, can control the pump speed, can move valves, control heaters, has a built-in breaker panel, and the SWG controller is built into it.

I would not really suggest the Pro. If you do not want the full automation, just get the regular Aqua Rite and you can add a separate pH controller if you want. There is just no reason to pay for the ORP sensor since they do not work very well for outdoor pools.

If you ever might add a heater or solar heating, then I would get the AquaPlus

- - - Updated - - -

The Aqua Rite Pro is just a SWG that also has the Sense & Dispense sensors which allow you to automate pH addition (and ORP which we do not recommend).

The AquaPlus is a full automation system that has timers, can control the pump speed, can move valves, control heaters, has a built-in breaker panel, and the SWG controller is built into it.

I would not really suggest the Pro. If you do not want the full automation, just get the regular Aqua Rite and you can add a separate pH controller if you want. There is just no reason to pay for the ORP sensor since they do not work very well for outdoor pools.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that makes a lot more sense.

The PB proposing the Aqua Rite will use a mechanical timer for the pump.

It sounds like the AquaPlus has a lot more capability, I'm just not sure how much we would use. It also looks like it REQUIRES 100A service? I bet that really changes the electrical game.

PB proposing the Aqua Rite includes the electrical in the install price.
PB proposing the Aqua Plus does not and estimates it as a $3k line item.

ac

Shopping around online you can find the Aquarite T-15 for about $850. Install is easy. So as a line item in a build, the addition of the basic unit should be in the $1000-1500 range. You can research the other units to compare the difference in prices and features.

Shopping around online you can find the Aquarite T-15 for about $850. Install is easy. So as a line item in a build, the addition of the basic unit should be in the $1000-1500 range. You can research the other units to compare the difference in prices and features.

Most guys seem to be right at $1600 for their salt system offering in my area. That includes the salt itself.

I'm tempted to just accept an auto chlorine dispenser and add the salt system myself once my CYA is in the proper level. I'd probably save $500+ easily.

ac

Most guys seem to be right at $1600 for their salt system offering in my area. That includes the salt itself.

I'm tempted to just accept an auto chlorine dispenser and add the salt system myself once my CYA is in the proper level. I'd probably save $500+ easily.

ac

Depending on the size of the pool, salt should be less than $100. If you are going to add a SWG right after the build, why pay for a chlorine dispenser? Just start out with pucks in a floater and save that money too.
However, one caution I would have is the concern that the pool builder might blame any warranty issues on the salt. Since he didn't install the SWG he can argue that it wasn't "built as a salt water pool". That concern might make it worthwhile to negotiate the SWG into the pool package.

Depending on the size of the pool, salt should be less than $100. If you are going to add a SWG right after the build, why pay for a chlorine dispenser? Just start out with pucks in a floater and save that money too.
However, one caution I would have is the concern that the pool builder might blame any warranty issues on the salt. Since he didn't install the SWG he can argue that it wasn't "built as a salt water pool". That concern might make it worthwhile to negotiate the SWG into the pool package.

The pool will be ~20k gallons.

Good call on the warranty front. At this point it's just a bargaining chip so the PBs realize I am an educated consumer and I know there is definitely wiggle room in the line items when I start specifying specific equipment.

ac

It does not require 100a service, it can support up that. Mine is fed by 20 amps.

For either setup a subpanel is required, right? The AquaPlus IS the subpanel I believe?

I'm trying to figure out what the REAL cost upgrade should be. The Aqua Rite would require them to install a subpanel and a mechanical timer. The Aqua Plus has both of those "built in"?

ac

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will have a sub panel for your power supply to the pump. That same panel can supply the SWG. In my case I have no automation so the Intelliflow VS pump is wired directly to one of the breakers and is controlled by its own programable onboard timer, and there is a timer in the sub panel that controls power to the SWG. I also have solar heat, so there is a SolarTouch controller that is connected to the pump and can override the pump's timer when solar comes on.

Except for the addition of the new VS pump, it's all very "old school", but it just works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.