Dirt, algae? Help!

Aug 4, 2015
LAWRENCEBURG, IN
first post of probably many lol. First year with pool in long time. I'm finding that I almost have to vacuum daily. My pool floor is constantly brown and must be vacuumed to show off the new blue liner. Is this normal dirt or an algae problem or what? I recently got the tf100 test kit and water tests almost perfect.
I have a picture I can post if I can figure out how to do it through the mobile site

Well, there's two possibilities I see going on here McCool:
1 - Your FC level is quite low. For a CYA of 45 (round-up to 50), your target is FC of 6. So you need to get that increased right away with bleach.
2 - If the brown feels gritty and moves easily form area to area, or disappears and sinks back down to bottom, it's very possible it's sand from your filter.

Only you can describe and tell us what it's like. Gritty is usually sand, slimy could be algae. If you suspect algae, you could raise your FC to 20 and do an overnight test to confirm. If it's sand, then you may need to inspect your filter for wear/damage such as a broken lateral. I would suspect it's one of those things. If you have any questions about either item, let us know.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, next time don't forget to post your pH as well. Very important. :)

Oops, PH was 7.5, maybe a touch higher. My chlorine has been staying around 5, I backed off the chlorine the last couple days because I've had to shut my pump for most of the day (leaking at pump). I have a new gasket kit coming for my pump and planned to inspect filter then. I did notice tonight after unhooking my vacuum, the water coming from jets did seam to be dirty. I will check the feel of what is collecting on the bottom tomorrow.

I did use some algaecide earlier this summer Yippe.

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.