Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flow Meter

1. Back To Top    #1

Flow Meter

I want to install a flow meter so that I know for sure what my GPM is. That way I can make sure I get a new filter that is going to turn over my pool in 8 hours. My questions, what is a good one to get? I have 1 1/2" plumbing. Also, where in the system do I install it?
    46k gallon vinyl, Intelliflo VF, Quad DE 100, Autopilot DIG60, Raypak R405a, Bravo Fury Auto Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flow Meter

The Blue and White 300 series is a good choice for residential pools. They require a substantial length of straight pipe for mounting and you need to purchase different models depending on if the pipe is horizontal, vertical water goes down, or vertical water goes up. Be careful that you get the model that corresponds to your situation as not all of the resellers list the orientation clearly. I have seen them as low as $60, though mostly they go for a little more than that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

where in my system do I install it? Just before the filter?
    46k gallon vinyl, Intelliflo VF, Quad DE 100, Autopilot DIG60, Raypak R405a, Bravo Fury Auto Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Where ever you have a substantial length of straight pipe.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

ok great, that would be before and after my heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I totally agree with the Blue-White recommendation. If you mount it in the last place before returning to the pool (after the heater), you will get a true reading of what's going into the pool. On big commercial systems, they use an influent and an effluent gauge!
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"