New pool owner. Need advice

Aug 19, 2015
Mt. Airy, MD
Hey guys. Just moved into my new house about a month ago. My first time owning a pool (I'm 29 and pretty mechanically inclined so I feel confident I can do this). I'll provide the pool details belong after a short story.

The previous owners used 3" chlorine pucks. The pool was very clear when I moved in. About a week ago, I noticed a hint of green on the floors and walls in some spots. I brushed it and realized I was beginning to have algae. I quickly used the chemicals that the old owners left for me (cal-hypo "shock"). I used 4x 1 pound bags. It killed a good amount of algae (brown dirt looking substance left on the floor the next couple days).

The pool has gotten worse. I ordered my TF100 test kit last week and it got lost in the mail. Panicking because I have a house warming party this coming Saturday, I shocked the pool with 5 pounds of cal-hypo...ugh. That was yesterday evening.

Sooo the post office found my package apparently and it was quickly delivered today (was suppose to be here last Friday). I tested everything at least 2 times, some things I tested 3 times just to make sure I was getting consistent readings.

Details:
Approximately 35,000 gallons
Vinyl liner about a year old.
Sand filter with multi-port valve

FC- 24
CC-.5
PH-7.8
TA-110
CH-150
CYA-90- >100 (I did this test 3 times with my pool water. Twice I got a little over the 100 line and once I got a little below 100 line. Meaning twice it showed over 100 CYA and once it showed half way between 90 and 100)

I also purchased the CYA test solution of 50 ppm and I tried that twice. I got 60 once and 50 once.

My pool is now very green in the deep end. I can barely see the main drain. I'm on well water here and my hose delivers 5 gallons a minute. I have 6 gallons of liquid chlorine on stand by and can obviously get more. What are my options to have a clear, swim able pool by this Saturday evening, if at all possible.

I foresee a partial drain/refill in my future. Thanks in advance for all the help, this forum is awesome. Here are some pictures

a8ce9e366a13bd604148c8e25076de83.jpg

93ba3a93fe9e11ab76f290f985964ad7.jpg

Deep end
8c7555e6a3f093d073f11bee716d4d44.jpg

e5b2807c79ed951285730022ceaa2d28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, make a new pool water sample to test CYA using 50% pool water and 50% tap water. Then use this mixture to perform a new CYA test, then double the results. Your CYA may turn out to be much higher than you think. And yes, I foresee a water exchange in your future too. There is no other way you'll be able to even attempt to get it clearer otherwise, and even then a proper SLAM procedure needs to take place. You can drain but never go under a foot or two in the shallow end so you don't disrupt the liner.

Please refer to Pool School for the way to do a SLAM (see link up at the top right of this webpage)

Re: New pool owner in need of guidance

Let's get your CYA nailed down....100 could be more. Run a diluted test, 1/2 pool water and 1/2 tap water...multiply the CYA result x2

I believe a diluted test was performed and the CYA levels were 50-60 (making the levels 120). It will be difficult to perform the SLAM at the 120 level. The pool is quite large and will require a large water replacement. Additionally, I would not use well water at 5 gallons per minute. I would test your house water and well water (unless you are all on well and have some water system) to remove impurities out of the water.

Based on CYA level of 120, the SLAM level that must be maintained is way over 39. Therefore, it is suggested you drain and fill to reduce the level down to at least something manageable. Definitely add liquid bleach to stop the algae from growing. Please have your water tested for metals, especially if well water has been used before.

Welcome to TFP!

With CYA of 120 your shock level for SLAMing is 48. The FAS-DPD chlorine test is good up to 50 ppm. It is going to take a lot of chlorine/bleach to SLAM with that CYA level but it can be done. Be sure to follow all the steps of the process. Testing and adding chlorine at least 3 or 4 times per day, more is better. Brush daily and remove all debris fro the pool so the chlorine is working on algae and not leaves. Those are the key steps to making a SLAM go quickly.

Here is the process, step by step, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I believe a diluted test was performed and the CYA levels were 50-60

I think that reference was to his performance on the *test*test solution. He mentioned also having purchased the "standard solution" which is a bottle of known 50 CYA fluid that helps you learn how to perform the test because you *know* it will be a 50 result, but it helps you see how that looks.

CYA was not 120, as I understood the OP's narrative. With unusual foresight for a new poster, he ordered the CYA standard solution along with the test kit, and got 50 and 60 ppm when running the test with the standard. That puts measured CYA back at the 90-100 level he reported. Still a high SLAM level, but not quite as bad as with 120.

I think that reference was to his performance on the *test*test solution. He mentioned also having purchased the "standard solution" which is a bottle of known 50 CYA fluid that helps you learn how to perform the test because you *know* it will be a 50 result, but it helps you see how that looks.

Question: Based on this test, is the CYA around 120? That is based on the standard solution?

All the CYA testing I have done for people have always been with 50% tap water. I only test once and then say "now it is time to order your own TF-100 Test Kit". Thanks!

Yes, it's possible. I hope you're committed. At minimum, you'll be adding bleach before work, after work, and at bedtime. More often is better. Once we had a guy set his alarm every two hours and got up all through the night. He turned a gooey green swamp into a pool in three days. But he was an extreme case.

Call your CYA 100 (Try the dilution method in Extended Test Kit Directions step 9) to be sure. Shock level is 39. You are fortunate that your CH level is low, so if you have some Cal hypo left over, you can use quite a bit of it in place of bleach. 25 lbs of it in a 35000 gallon pool only adds 44 CH. DON'T Add it all at once. Let poolmath calculate the doses. Cal-hypo does tend to make the water cloud up a little, so I'd go with bleach only at least Friday and Saturday. Guests can swim in it up to shock level, so as long is it's down below 39, it's no problem.

Just follow the SLAM instructions. If you choose to use some Cal-hypo instead of bleach, just don't use more than one bucket of it.

Correct, I ordered the "50 ppm standard solution" so I could learn how to properly run this test and make my results consistent.

However, I just completed a 50/50 solution with pool/tap water and it showed right between 50 and 60. I would call it closer to 60, I did it a couple times and 60 seems more consistent. So yes, let's assume CYA is 120. I had a pool inspection done while under contract on the house at the beginning of July. The pool tech that did the inspection got a CYA reading of 85ppm. So the increase from 85 to 120 in 1.5 months seems plausible while using trichlor tablets right?

I think I might start a slam at this high CYA level and see how it goes. I have some free time this week from work, so I'll be able to keep a close eye and test a lot.

Should I leave the PH alone for now? It crossed my mind that my current test may not be accurate after the shock and my current FC level of 24.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

your pool is LARGE...that's a LOT of liquid chlorine to have to haul home. A LOT! You *sure* you want to attempt this without first draining and replacing some of the water???? Not a good idea really.

Its safe to drop your water level by half and refill, that would be very helpful if you can manage even just that. Pool Math says to go from 120 --> 50 is a 60% water replacement. Then your SLAM level would be 20 ppm.

And no, your pH is not going to be accurate at 24 none less whatever

Ok guys. For the past 48 hours I have been maintains my chlorine levels above the Slam level throughout the day and night. I have retested my CYA several times and it's 100 ppm.

My slam level of FC is 43. I've been keeping it at 43-45. At night around midnight, I bring it to about 50 ppm and lose between 7-8ppm by 10am, then add bleach.

I brush the walls and floor 2-3 times a day and I've just recently been using my Dolphin Nautilus Plus robot to help out a bit.

My sand filter pressure barely moves. My clean pressure is 12.5psi and after 24 hours it's at 14.5psi. I can see the algae on my stairs where it has collected in the little dimples. It looks yellowish/greenish/brownish and when I touch it, it breaks up very easy into the water, like sand almost. It's definitely not sand though. I can't even feel anything when I touch it.

The pool doesn't really look any different after 48 hours. Not worse, not better/clearer. Do I need to just stick with it?

Ok guys. For the past 48 hours I have been maintains my chlorine levels above the Slam level
The pool doesn't really look any different after 48 hours. Not worse, not better/clearer. Do I need to just stick with it?

Yes, stick with it. It has only been 3 days since you started (based on your post).

Keep track of your progress daily (how much liquid bleach you are adding and how much you are loosing). These #'s should be gradually decreasing. Please remember not to stop until you passed all 3 Test(s). Some people stop when the water is clear.

" lose between 7-8ppm by 10am"
This means keep going. Algae is consuming this FC and dying.

"12.5psi and after 24 hours it's at 14.5psi"
This is the dead algae.

You are just not over the hump yet.
Keep at it, it will pull through.

So I just checked my filter pressure and it has dropped from 14.5 psi to 12.5 psi. I did not back wash or do anything at all. Why would the pressure drop on its own? It's a brand new, oil filled gauge also, I installed it last week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.