Question for Texas Residents

Aug 12, 2015
Cypress
I was hoping to be able to go with a more budget option than gunite but was told this today:

You need Gunite. Texas climate plays a big role in our pools. Vinyl is not a good option here. Fiberglass isn't either. Too many issues can arise.

Do you think this is accurate?

I don't understand that comment at all. I could see some concerns about the variety of soils in Texas (i.e. sand, clay, bedrock, etc), but not the climate. I elected to go fiberglass because my area has a lot of clay that tends to break-down and shift. Before that, I was very close to a getting large AG pool instead. But that was a stability issue, not climate. Fact is, it's HOT just about everywhere in TX, with a mixture of bitter cold in the winter (panhandle), but that's no different than many other places in the country. Sounds like someone is just trying to sell you a more expensive pool. Get what YOU want.

That's the thing... It wasn't a pool builder that said it. Just somebody that is in the pool business and shared 6 different pool builders names with me in the area. She works for a pool maintenance company I think. She said she had 20 years experience with pools and does everything but build them.

Sounds to me like you are talking to a PB who only does gunite pools. :)

Just seems odd though. I mean we have hundreds if not thousands of different pool-type owners in the state. I've never heard of anyone using climate as a reason to persuade purchasing one type pool lover another. Size perhaps (gallons), in relation to how warm a pool might get with a smaller body of water, but that's about all I can think of.

Its true there are tons more gunite pools in Texas than there are IG vinyl pools, but there isnt any reason for it other than gunite is the perferred pool to build here, and so thats just what people do.

It should be noted however, that depending on specifically where the pool is to be built, that the soil conditions may not be good for a Vinyl pool, but thats true for any part of the country.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.