Fumes from ma!!!

geegaw

Aug 1, 2015
Texas
Accidentally, breathed fumes from MA. Headache ever since? No coughing now little at first. ?? Burning a little on one side of my noise, all the way up into my head left side only? I think I'm OK. ??

Oh my. So many variables to consider there (amount of intake, personal history, etc), and it's really not our place to advise medically other than to say if you believe you injured yourself in any capacity while working on your pool, by all means seek medical attention. Your health is number one! Please let us know how things turn-out. Certainly hope you feel better soon geegaw. Very sorry to hear that news.

That stuff is nasty. I've had it hit me too and had to think twice about taking my next breath. I'm glad you are doing ok. If in doubt though, take care of yourself first and see an expert. You may also want to check the bottle for a contact the number in case they have customer representative who may have some specific safety information for you to consider. Just a thought. Rest and get well for us!

I agree with the general sentiment - if you feel sickened by it and symptoms persist, the appropriate course of action is to see your doctor or local urgent care facility. No one on TFP can or should give medical advice (unless they are a doctor and even then it's not advisable) and no one should ever seek urgent care from the Internet.

One thing to remember is that the odor threshold for MA is very low, ~ 2-5ppm. The threshold at which actual physical harm is measured for MA is typically in minutes (30min or 1-hr continuos exposure) and at concentration very much higher than the odor threshold (100's to 1000's of ppm). So, a brief exposure to MA fumes in an open outdoor environment with fresh air has a low probability of causing any harm. That's not to say you still won't get some lingering effect like stinging mucous membranes or a headache, just that your chances of developing any chronic harm are quite low.

I've whiffed more than enough acid vapor in my previous work life and I certainly don't like the smell of MA. But it's probably the least harmful chemical I have ever been exposed to. I actually find ammonia based household cleaners and lye-based oven cleaners (Easy-Off, etc) to be way more irritating to work with and those are marketed for indoor use!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would head over to an ear, nose and throat doctor just to check it out. That's their specialty. Inflammation could lead to other things, like an infection. A sinus infection almost killed me when I was a kid, and put me in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks.

I got muriatic acid fumes in my eyes a few weeks ago, and burned the outer layer. I had a respirator on, which didn't help me avoid the fumes for my eyes. The doctor gave me some drops to use for a week. Not fun. I wear air tight goggles now, and the respirator. I also be sure I am perpendicular to the wind now, although that's no guaranty, since wind can shift. I definitely keep it at arms distance. You just can't win with that stuff.

Being able to smell the fumes and notice the irritation has a plus side in that it has you pull away from those fumes making it less likely for them to linger near your eyes. So as Michael noted, if one goes the route of using a respirator, they must use full-face protection to include their eyes. If not using a respirator, then safety goggles are recommended since splashing acid into the eyes can lead to blindness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.