Plumbing for easy winterization.

Mar 4, 2015
Iowa
I am about to plumb my 2 skimmers and 3 returns. If I make the elbow below the skimmers the lowest spot on the line from pump to skimmer after I take the water down 4 inches below the skimmer for winter, I could just blow out the lines and shop vac them dry correct? I am thinking about doing the same with the returns by putting a Tee at the low spot and a riser level with the concrete deck with a PVC screw plug. Although this may not be cosmetically correct, it would give me great peace of mind knowing my lines are dry. Am I overthinking this, I just cant see how blowing air through completely rids the lines of water and the last thing I want to do is tear up my new concrete if a pipe were to freeze. I would also be able to avoid using antifreeze this way. Any thoughts?

Just know that your lines don't need to be dry, just not full. Or not full enough that when the water freezes the only option is cracking a pipe. The ice, like water, will take path of least resistance and freeze along the pipe before it ruptures it. I think you should be more mindful of creating a low spot or trap where all the residual water would drain to. If that then froze, it could cause an issue.

No doubt cutting up concrete is a PITA though, so your concerns are warranted.

I think I will simplify things by running all lines level as possible eliminating a low spot. I will install a T with a threaded cap at the pad just beyond the valve on each line and turn off the valve on each line, run air until bubbles come out of the returns and mist out of the skimmers plugging each lines as I go. Then as a precaution I will add 1 gallon to every 10 feet of line through the same T I blew the line out with. I will then replace the threaded cap. Prior to doing all of this I would take off all unions and allow to drain along with any drain plugs in the pump, filter heater. Is there really any reason to unwire the pump and take it indoors? If I just tarp the entire equipment pad would this be sufficient?

Scottman - that sounds like a good plan. As for the pump, mine sits outside all the time. I know other folks bring them in and I would assume it would be better having it out of the elements. If you tarp it, just make sure that there are some openings for airflow so that the equipment has a chance to dry out.

FWIW, I worry about my heater sitting out in the cold after finally installing a new one, but the tech assured me they are made to be outside. I blow my lines out similar to you (without the threaded tees) and have not had an issue over the last few, very cold winters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.