Heat pump question...

Apr 2, 2009
I am taking care of my neighbors pool. A leak developed in the heat pump.

My neighbor never uses the heat pump to heat the pool. She never goes in the pool, ever. There is a bypass valve to the pump with a handle on it. When a leak started I tried to move the bypass valve but it would not move. The pool cleaning technician had removed the handle and replaced it incorrectly so the valve was always diverting half the water through the pump. He had to strip the handle on the valve to make it fit that way.

I replaced the handle so the heat pump is no longer receiving any water though it so I could fix the leak (just a cracked hose leading to the pressure switch).

This morning when the pool cleaner came back he changed the handle back the way it was on the valve and the water is partially going through the heat pump again.

Am I wrong to cut off the water completely from the heat pump while it is not in use?

Thanks,
Jeff
Naples, Florida

I don't think you'll be getting any freezing weather in Naples at this point, so you're ok to bypass the heater. Sounds like you've got a handle on what valve does what, but if you want to be sure you've got the setup for the bypass straight post a pic and we can verify it.

Thank you Spishex!

I had a talk with the pool service technician. He claims to be in the dark as to why that valve was locked into the position of pushing half the flow through the heat pump. Everything looks to be okay. This pool has the oldest heat pump or heater in the neighborhood. Everyone else has the shiny black heaters and my neighbor has the big rusty beige metal box. It will be fun seeing if it works after I replace the pressure switch which had disintegrated, causing the leak.

Thanks again. I am sure I will be back here after parts come in with the next problem :wink:

Jeff

Well, it depends.

Heat pumps do best if they have as much water flow as possible, but not more then they are designed to handle. Depending on the relative size of the pump and heater it is possible, but not likely, that the heater can't handle the full flow from the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.