white pebbles in my pump basket

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
I noticed that I have some type of white pebbles in my pump basket that I've never seen before. The only difference between this year and previous years is that I've added salt (2000ppm) this year. All of my numbers are in range. Could they be made of salt?

White Pebbles.

Numbers:

FC: 5
CC: 0.5
CYA: 40
TA: 60
PH: 7.5
CH: 70
SALT: 1,600

I'm using the Taylor K-1766 for salt testing.

Looks to me like you have someone tampering with your pool. That or you have the largest scale/calcium build up balls I have ever seen ;)

Do they break apart easily when you try to crush them in your fingers? Or are they real rocks? What do they smell and taste like? (don't eat one just taste it)

The rocks are hard and I cannot crush them with my fingers. I didn't think of tasting them, I will do that when I get home tonight. Can't do that in front of my wife, then she will know I have definitely gone insane! The strange thing is that I don't have rocks like this in my backyard and this has never happened before.

Two things that came to mind since my first post: 1) Not sure if this would be related, but I had a new liner and heater installed in early June and 2) that would have been the last time my pump basket was opened.

Looks like crushed rock that's often used for drainage and backfill. I had them in my basket too after the pool build, but the only way they can get in there is vacuuming to waste. Because the bottom drain cover and skimmer basket aren't going to let rocks that big through. So, have you been vacuuming to waste? If so, you would have picked them up off the pool floor. Otherwise, I don't see how they would have gone through the skimmer or bottom drain.

I clicked it and saw the pic this time. That is definitely drainage rock. It must have fallen into an open pipe during construction and just got flushed out recently for some reason.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For those of you that recommended NOT to taste it, well, too late, but at least I'm still here and they just tasted like rocks

I have Zodiac MX-8 which is a suction robot. I wonder if those rocks were on the pool floor when the liner was installed and were sucked when I ran the robot and have been there for the last couple of months. Sounds reasonable to me.

I will come back to this thead if they come back but for now....thanks as usual!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.