Cloudy Water

NJS

Jul 6, 2014
Kansas
I have been fighting cloudy water for a week. We have been experiencing heavy rain so I figured that was why it was cloudy. I used some of Leslie's Ultra Bright the first time and after two back to back treatments, it was pretty clear again. The chlorine and pH levels were within range that time. Then we had another heavy rain several days ago and it became cloudy (whitish) again. Tested it the day after the rain and it only had .5 FC, and 1 CC so I super chlorinated with tri-chlor. Today, the day after the "shock", I tested and again the FC was 0 but the CC had jumped to 11!

I have backwashed, cleaned out all the skimmers, brushed the entire pool by hand, ran the Dolphin, and started the SLAM process. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to run to the store to buy liquid chlorine (two kids under 5 at home), so I have been trying to SLAM with tri-chlor granules. Following the Pool Math I have been trying to get the chlorine level up to shock level. Thankfully my CYA was at 0 at well from the hubby backwashing several times without adding conditioner.

I was able to get ahead of the growth and get the CC down to 2.5 from 11. But I can hardly get the FC to stay at a .5 or 1 for more than an hour. Am I wasting my time with TriChlor? Does the water have to be green for it to be algae?

Latest Stats:

FC: .5
CC: 3
pH: 7.0 (before I started the SLAM)
TA: 130
CH: 150

Couple things before the experts get here. 1) what's your CYA? 2) Regardless of your CYA, your FC is way too low for a SLAM and your CC is way too high. If your CYA is too high you may need to do a partial drain for a more efficient SLAM.

You need to get that FC up to SLAM levels and maintain it, both with liquid chlorine, not tri-clor, which is slow release. So it won't get you out in front of your problem very effectively. Maintaining with LC will eventually lower your CCs and probably clear you pool in the process.

Remember the three signs of a successful SLAM:
1) pass OCLT
2) CC below 0.5
3) clear water.

What are you using for a testing?

Finally, no. Algae is not the only reason for a green color. However your description of cloudy green water makes me think it is actually algae.

Thanks! My CYA was 0 until I started dumping trichlor in there in order to keep it from getting too out of hand. I purchased some bleach by the truck load today and we shall see if I can get the FC high enough. My CYA is 90 right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.