DE filter questions

glr

Jul 9, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but I have a couple questions regarding DE filters.

First I have an 16.5k pool with a 1k spa attached this is cleaned by a Hayward Pro-Grid DE 6020. I am wondering if there are any recommendations for how long to back wash. I have the back wash plumbed to a tree so I don't waste the water and usually let it go for about 5 minutes. The water doesn't completely go clear but looks pretty good.

Second, when refilling the DE thru the skimmer the filter calls for about 7.5 lbs of DE and I was wondering what is the best method for measuring this? I have a large scoop, I believe is 4 cups that I use now. I typically put around 9 of these in.

Thanks,
Gary

I have a DE3620; it looked clear enough in less than 1 minute. Yours is close to twice as big, but 5 minutes sounds excessive. I'm sure others with more experience will provide more definitive advice.

I would guess your scoop is about 1/2 lb DE. My DE package says a 1-lb coffee can would hold about 1/2 lb DE, and my scoop is about that size; and not too different from my 4-cup measuring cup.

--paulr

I think DE is 6 cups to a pound.

glr: when you backwash the filter you won't remove all the DE. Some spots, especially in between grids, get caked on and have to be manually cleaned. For that reason it's a good idea to add less than the full amount when you're recharging after a backwash. This varies by filter, but I go with about 80% of a full load. You should also break it down and clean it manually after you've backwashed a few times.

Gary, welcome to TFP!!

At the bottom of POOL SCHOOL there is a link to "Further Reading" wherein you will find this article use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html. (I consider this a 'must read' for all DE filter owners :p :mrgreen: )

The important things from what I said there are that to do as complete a backwashing as you can it's backwash - rinse - backwash - rinse... throw a 1 minute filter cycle in (only if the water is clear!) and backwash - rinse again. Then add 80% of the start up DE (6 lbs for your 6020) and KNOW!! how much DE you are adding by either using a premeasured scoop specifically for DE or use an accurate scale to weigh the container you're using empty and again when full of DE.

You'll also see, in my most recent post to Johnny B there, that it is preferable (as Tim -Spishex - said) to break it apart and hose it off so that you get all the DE out.

I hope you'll read my use and care thread and that it will answer all your filter questions :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.