Advice on setting up a Stenner

lvrpl

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2015
Dallas, TX
I'm a new pool owner (just bought a house with one) and I'm starting to get everything dialed in. I'd really love to automate the chlorine additions with a Stenner. I've done a bit of reading on the forum but was hoping for a little input.

1. I'd like to control my Stenner pump independent of my main pump so I'm thinking of going the fixed rate route. I'm thinking of the 45MPHP10 - does that sound right? It looks like the 100 psi versions work just as well as the 25 psi versions but also have a check valve. And I think I want 10 GPD because I want to be able to add my bleach in no more than 1.5 or 2 hours (and I think my chlorine per day will range from 15 fl oz to 80 fl oz depending on the season - I know a big range, but as I said I'm still getting my pool chemicals dialed in), so I think the 10 GPD gets me there. Does that sound right? Anything I should rethink on the pump selection?

2. Control/timer - I've got an older Compool LX100 controller with two mechanical timers (one for the filter, one for the booster - see below for a picture). I assume I can't tie in control of the Stenner pump without upgrading the whole system, correct? If so, is my best bet something like the Woods electrical timer (this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Woods-7-...avy-Duty-Timer-2-Outlet-Black-50015/203638981)?

3. Wiring of control/timer - is there any way to wire the Woods timer so that it will only operate the Stenner when the filter pump is on? Or do I just have to rely on synchronizing the LX100 mechanical timer and the Woods timer, and hoping/ensuring they don't get out of sync? For reference, my pad has a single open 110V outlet that I'm planning to power the pump from.

Thanks for any help!

My Compool LX100 controller:
Timers.jpg

I've been looking into a Stenner as well. The 10 gpd pump will be 40 qts/day, or 1.67 qts per hour, so it will run for about 45 minutes for your 15 oz additions, if my math is correct. I'm not familiar with the timer that you have, but if each timer requires a separate power source, you can splice the input power wire for the Stenner off of the output power wire that turns the circulation pump on. This way there will never be power to the Stenner unless there is power to the main pump. I think this is what I'm going to do....Also, it looks to me like the fixed output and adjustable output pumps are priced within a few dollars of each other. You could give yourself more flexibility by buying an adjustable pump and running on the max setting (I don't think it makes the clicking or wears prematurely unless it's on a lower setting). If you ever need the adjustment, it will be there.

I've been looking into a Stenner as well. The 10 gpd pump will be 40 qts/day, or 1.67 qts per hour, so it will run for about 45 minutes for your 15 oz additions, if my math is correct. I'm not familiar with the timer that you have, but if each timer requires a separate power source, you can splice the input power wire for the Stenner off of the output power wire that turns the circulation pump on. This way there will never be power to the Stenner unless there is power to the main pump. I think this is what I'm going to do....Also, it looks to me like the fixed output and adjustable output pumps are priced within a few dollars of each other. You could give yourself more flexibility by buying an adjustable pump and running on the max setting (I don't think it makes the clicking or wears prematurely unless it's on a lower setting). If you ever need the adjustment, it will be there.

Thanks for the response. One question - you said that the 10 GPD pump will provide 1.67 quarts per hour (I agree), and that will provide my 15 fl oz additions in 45 minutes. However, wouldn't it take about 17 minutes to provide 15 fl oz? (1.67 quarts per hour is equivalent to 53.3 fl oz per hour, right?) Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Also, what prices are you seeing for the pumps? The best prices I've seen are at Locke Well and Pump, and there the variable speed pumps are a fair bit more. There, the fixed rate pump (45MPHP10) is $208 and the variable speed pump (45MHP10) is $279. Just curious if you've found a better price for the variable speed pump - if so, I totally agree that I might as well buy the variable.

Thanks!

I went with the 3 gallon per day pump mainly because my pool equipment had an extra relay but the timer only allows on/off settings at 15 minute intervals. Because of this the 3 gallon was better for me to get a more fined tuned dose.

In looking at your timer you may be able to tie the stenner pump into the cleaner timer. if you did this the 3 gallon per day would be idea as you could have it run when you clean your pool. I assume you run your cleaner about 1-2 hours per day?

I went with the 3 gallon per day pump mainly because my pool equipment had an extra relay but the timer only allows on/off settings at 15 minute intervals. Because of this the 3 gallon was better for me to get a more fined tuned dose.

In looking at your timer you may be able to tie the stenner pump into the cleaner timer. if you did this the 3 gallon per day would be idea as you could have it run when you clean your pool. I assume you run your cleaner about 1-2 hours per day?

Good point about tying in the Stenner to the cleaner pump. If I did that though, I'd probably want the variable pump, no? My thinking is that if I run my cleaner for 2 hours a day, I'll need some other way to adjust the amount bleach that the Stenner delivers (especially because it seems like it will vary a lot as we get into fall and winter).

Even so, I think I want to be able to directly control the Stenner pump's runtime, so I don't think I can do that by tying into either the filter or cleaner timers, can I?

Or is there some sort of relay that has two inputs (one for the Woods timer, which is plugged into the outlet, and one for a current/power signal from the filter pump) and one output (that would go to the Stenner and that would only provide power when BOTH of the inputs sense a current)?

- - - Updated - - -

You're right- I got some units flipped....Also, I was looking at the 25psi adj thinking it was a fixed displacement for some reason...Sorry about the bad info....I am looking at Locke as well

No worries. On your point about tying a relay for the timer into the power for the filter pump, the problem there is that the timer won't be powered on either when the filter pump is running (at least if I understand what you suggested correctly).

Good point about tying in the Stenner to the cleaner pump. If I did that though, I'd probably want the variable pump, no? My thinking is that if I run my cleaner for 2 hours a day, I'll need some other way to adjust the amount bleach that the Stenner delivers (especially because it seems like it will vary a lot as we get into fall and winter).

You may not need a variable speed pump, it depends on if the 3 gallon per day would work, i think it would be perfect. here is some rough math...

3 gallons per day is 16 oz per hour. based on your 9k gallon pool you probably need between 25-40 oz per day. So between 1.5 and 2.5 hours of chlorine time per day. if your pool cleaner can clean the pool in 1.5 hours I would just get the 3 gallon one and wire it up to the pool cleaner. i would then just set the cleaner time to run based on your actual FC consumption. I would not be worried if my pool cleaner ran and extra amount of time since it would just make things much easier IMO. This also gives you a pool side visual on if you are injecting chlorine or not and you would also being doing it when the water has the most movement which is another good thing....

For winter the stenner has a manual switch on the pump, I would just turn that off till spring.... My $.02

I hear you on the 3 gpd pump and tying it to the booster pump, but I think I'd like separate control. If I decide I want to run the booster pump extra one day, I'll have more bleach (or need to manually turn off the Stenner and then remember to turn it back on). If I decide I don't want to run the booster more than a day or two per week, that won't really be an option.

So I think I'm going to go with the Woods controller. Is there any sort of relay or something that would allow the Stenner to run only when the Woods timer signals it to run and when the filter pump is also on (and doesn't require the Woods timer to run on battery backup between runs)?

Thanks!

Your pool is the same size as mine ( give or take a few 100 ). In our summer heat I am using 48oz to maintain 5.5ppm at CYA of 45ppm. It does not look like you have automation so wiring to run with pool cleaner will work. You would just adjust cleaner run time ( Stenner only runs with cleaner ) with your FC level you wish to maintain. OR just by a timer that can control pump and Stenner at same time. Either way you will have more free time with a Stenner.

See my post #27 should be pic's
Liquidator Still the Best Option? - Page 2

I store my 15 gallon tank inside a garbage can with lid on to keep heat off of it. I also installed a shade sail over all my equipment. I run my pump 4 times per day and Stenner comes on at those times also. I try to keep my chlorine at a constant 5.5ppm that way ( no high and lows ).

Very helpful, thanks.

I guess what I'm wondering still is this: is there a timer or relay/timer combo I could use to ensure that my Stenner only comes on when the filter pump is on (with a new, separate timer for the Stenner - I'd prefer not to run the Stenner with my current filter or booster timers)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't think the separate timers would get out of sync enough to matter if you just have the bleach come on and off right in the middle of the pump timer cycle.

If you are really concerned about it the closest thing you could try would be something like this..... you wire this timer to your pool pump controller output (so the timer only gets power when the pool pump is on).
Amazon.com: Woods 50012 Outdoor 24-Hour Heavy Duty Mechanical Outlet Timer: Home Improvement

you then need to view the timer as a series of days vs a 24 hour timer. for example if you run your pool pump 6 hours a day then it would take 4 days for this timer to make a complete turn. you basically view the timer as 4 - 6 hour days.
0-6 is day 1
6-12 day 2
12-18 day 3
18-24 day 4

then you would set your on off bleach times as you wanted within each day... so if you needed to run your bleach pump an hour per day your timer would look something like this.
Day - timer time - on/off time
1 - 0-6 - on 3 / off 4
2 - 6-12 - on 9 / off 10
3 - 12-18 - on 15 / off 16
4 - 18-24 - on 20/ off 21

I think that's about the closest you could get to what you are wanting to accomplish short of buying another controller with more relays.

I'm getting around to setting up my Stenner this spring and need to order a barrel. Any thoughts on something like one of the following? Any reason one of these wouldn't be a good candidate? Thanks for any thoughts!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

or

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Ess..._UL160_SR120,160_&refRID=1PBA5VSGRX8T0GMG755F

Good discussion. I'm planning on going with a Stenner as well this season. I picked up a used 55 gal HDPE drum from a local guy for $35. My plan is to either partially or completely bury it to help control temps and slow bleach degradation as below ground temps should be a pretty constant 55-70°F. Maybe an extreme approach, but it's not that hard to dig a hole and backfill with some sand and gravel. It also somehow feels safer to have the tank out of harms way as long as it is protected from frost heave (hence sand and gravel). 55 gal may also be overkill, but pool calc says for my size pool I'll need to add about 3 quarts a day. I'm hoping I can fill it 2-3 times a season. If I can really keep the temp at ~70°F or less, the degradation should be reasonable (e.g., 12.5% going to 10-11% at 2 months). The Woods 7-day timer looks like a great way to control dosing. Thanks for the tip.

I got my barrel from Amazon today - is it ok to place the barrel close to the controller box or other electrical devices? See the picture below - this is where I'm thinking of placing the tank. My only other option would be to put it on the other side of the heater, which would require much longer feed lines.

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.