Push Pull or Multi Valve?

dravenone

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
Glendora, California
Hello all,

New member here and I will soon be replacing my equipment once I get my water adjusted properly using the methods on this site (Thank you very much for this awesome site). I'm curious if I should get the 6 position valve instead of the push pull even though I only need to be able to backwash (which I can't even do now)? Are the 6 positions more reliable or last longer? I have an 18k gallon pool, no spa or water feature, very basic. Also I am going to buy Hayward. Thanks, and sorry if I left out any needed info.

Welcome to the forum! I would unquestionably spend the extra and get a multi-port. Vacuum-to-waste, rinse, and recirculate are all positions that will most likely come in handy.

Folks with more hands-on experience can give you better advice on reliability....I don't know too much about the push-pull types.

Absolutely go with the multiport. It is possible to plumb the system with a few extra valves to replicate all the functions of a multiport with the push pull, but it gets complicated and you'll be the only person who can figure it out. The occasional repair will be worth the simplicity and flexibility.

Welcome to TFP!

I also recommend getting the multi-port valve.

Push/pull valves last just about forever and hardly ever have problems. Multi-port valves are also quite reliable, but every now and then they need a new spider gasket.

Welcome to TFP!!

If you put a gun to my head and told me "I had to have a push/ pull valve", I'd tell you to "pull the trigger" :!: I don't like them and would NOT have a pool without the 'rinse, waste and recirc' options!! :hammer:

Mayhaps I'm being a little overboard but you honestly couldn't pay me enough to have a 'push/pull' valve. :)

Thanks all, multi valve it is!! I don't even have a valve right now. The pool was here when I bought the house, and after seven years of hand washing my filter I would just be happy to be able to back wash! I don't know what I'm missing. Thanks again! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.