Get a new cleaner? Repair old G2?

Aug 14, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
My G2 will run for a bit but stops. I think some parts (not diaphragm) have worn out and I could replace them. Just worried that it won't fix the problem and then I end up wasting money.

Any inputs here on what a good cleaner would be? Our pool isn't huge (12,000ish pill shaped pool), and my father in law got me this G2 as a move in gift, so I've never looked into cleaners much myself.

We have a side port the cleaner connects to, and it's my birthday so we got some money from family for landscaping or pool upgrades. I'd rather not go crazy on this, and a new G2 would be like 250-300 or something, so probably wouldn't want to spend more than that. Less is obviously awesome as long as it'd clean consistently.

there's a "99% new" G2 body on Craigslist for 149, can get new hoses with it for 35 bucks....tempted to do that.

Are there good hoses to get on Amazon or somewhere that aren't worthless? Wondering if his are any good or not....

I have a G3 and personally do not like it. Now, it may be a setup issue or another problem but it does not hit all areas of the pool. The cleaner was there when I bought the house. I proceeded to replace the entire hose, diaphragm, finned disk and foot pad. All of which made it move around better but it still does not hit all areas. What it does hit it does a fine job but when I have to go back over most of the bottom with my manual vac or brush what is the point of having an automatic vacuum.

I have spent days adjusting and readjusting all of my valves. I can make the thing almost jump out of the pool...or stick in one spot but cannot get it to cycle evenly throughout the pool lol.

Either way, probably next year I will be looking at something to replace the G3.

I have a G3 and personally do not like it. Now, it may be a setup issue or another problem but it does not hit all areas of the pool. The cleaner was there when I bought the house. I proceeded to replace the entire hose, diaphragm, finned disk and foot pad. All of which made it move around better but it still does not hit all areas. What it does hit it does a fine job but when I have to go back over most of the bottom with my manual vac or brush what is the point of having an automatic vacuum.

I have spent days adjusting and readjusting all of my valves. I can make the thing almost jump out of the pool...or stick in one spot but cannot get it to cycle evenly throughout the pool lol.

Either way, probably next year I will be looking at something to replace the G3.

Yeah, more just don't want to spend the 400+ it seems it takes to get something better...I think my best bet is that almost new G2 and use my existing one as parts for it...Mine would get most of the pool except for the steps, so I probably had better luck than yours

Tried replacing the diaphragm and that seems to have worked...so I was not seeing the tear that was there.

My tape hack keeps the weight on effectively, so it reaches most of the pool. Good enough for me for now...over time I can replace some parts and keep it working enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.