Green film on liner

Apr 12, 2015
IL
Hello all..

A big thanks to this community as you have helped me with many issues.

First summer with a pool and it's been trouble free (until now).. The pool liner continuously has a green film in parts of the pool (and seems to be getting a bit out of control). I am having to run the Dolphin robot 1-2 times daily and it doesn't seem to keep up. This was not the case in the summer as I went all summer without issues and was running filter about 8 hours a day and the dolphin cleaner maybe once every day or so.

The fall is coming quickly as we are getting cooler temps here in Illinois early this year. Along with this comes a bit of additional debris in the pool. I can only assume this is causing the liner discoloration?

I am currently running my filter 8+ hours a day. In fact, it's probably closer to 10+ due to the additional debris. I have the SWG running and the FC levels are usually around 4-5.

Also note, that I have not had a working pool cover all year--but am scheduled to get it repaired soon.

I've never used an algaecide.. Is it time for me to do so? Any other advice? Should I be concerned or is this something that will happen every fall?

FC 5.5
CC 0
Ph 7.9
TA 80
CYA 80

I've been having a tough time keeping Ph at or below 7.8 lately.

Hi Pete! Sounds like you need to SLAM via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Follow that page carefully and you'll get rid of that green slime. :) Running the filter longer is no substitute for well-balanced water.

PS - No algaecides!

Wow, y'all beat me!!

Bleach. In fact you can turn the SWG off while you are slamming. The can save some of the useful life of the cell.

What is your CYA level?

How is the circulation in that part of the pool?

Well, that's why I am surprised you are recommending a SLAM.. My CC's have been at 0 every time I have checked (three times in the last few days)
Have you performed an OCLT? That will tell if organics (algae) are taking hold. By your descriptions, you have algae and need to SLAM.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks everyone.. Updated my CYA 80.

- - - Updated - - -

started in the deep end and now has spread all over.
Don't even bother with the OCLT then, get to SLAMming!

With a CYA of 80ppm your SLAM target is 31ppm. Maintain that, or slightly higher to make up for expected losses between testing/adding chlorine.

Time to buy a lot of bleach.

Dom

Yep.

I was running at a CYA of 60 or under much of this year.. I kept trying to get it up to 70 but we had lots of rain (and lots of draining) this year.. A while back I added a bunch of CYA (maybe a bit too much) to get to 80.. And then never adjusted my FC to match. Hence, the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.