Unsealed Spillover

spishex

TFP Expert
Oct 12, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Here's an interesting thing I came across yesterday:
[attachment=1:22twceid]spillover.JPG[/attachment:22twceid]
[attachment=0:22twceid]spillover2.JPG[/attachment:22twceid]

I've never seen someone spill over unsealed concrete before. The results seem to be just what you'd expect. The lighter spots are where sealant (looks like silicone) has been applied to cracks. You can't see it in the pic but there's also a liberal amount used over the liner track under the spillover.

I'm in the middle of doing an inspection report for the potential buyer and I'm wondering if anybody has a feasible recommendation on how to make this thing a little more trouble free. For the sake of the inspection it is "doing the job for which it is intended" at the moment, but I'd like to mention it to them and give them some idea of what could be done to make it look and hold up better. Ideas?

Attachments

• spillover.JPG
    spillover.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 182
  • spillover2.JPG
    spillover2.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 182
Tim,

Ardex is one of many manufacturers who makes a floor leveling masonry product. Essentially, it is portland cement with very, very, very fine sand. It can be troweled baby smooth and very, very thin.

There is a slight chance that patch discoloration may telegraph thru the floor leveler but it could surely be painted with epoxy if it did

Any ideas on how it could be better flashed over the liner? It's hard to see, but essentially the existing spillover just looks like standard cantilevered concrete coping which is rounded right around to the track, which in turn pulls the water right into that groove. The track and the gap between it and the coping have been covered in silicone across the length of the spillover plus about 6" on either side.

I would really like to see any possible solutions to this because I have a very similar problem. I will post some pics when I can get them.

My spillover hits the bullnose pavers that are under it. I am worried it will eventually damage the pavers and damage the liner at the track... Or even worse, have water start getting in there and bubbling the liner out.

Is there a way to extend fiber glass further out or maybe use clear plastic?

Very similiar issue to above.

Hi Tim :wave:

I've never seen one done that way either :?

How about tiling the spillover channel - you'd only add 1/4 - 3/8" in the mouth so the water won't just flow out the top of the tub and you could hang the tile ~1" into the pool for a better waterfall effect. Also, tile would look more attractive than the bare concrete that's now there. :)

Let me know how this grabs you and I'll be more than happy to discuss this and the other options with you 8)

waste said:
Hi Tim :wave:

I've never seen one done that way either :?

How about tiling the spillover channel - you'd only add 1/4 - 3/8" in the mouth so the water won't just flow out the top of the tub and you could hang the tile ~1" into the pool for a better waterfall effect. Also, tile would look more attractive than the bare concrete that's now there. :)

Let me know how this grabs you and I'll be more than happy to discuss this and the other options with you 8)

I like this idea, but I would worry about kids (and drunk adults :lol: ) grabbing onto the over-hanging tiles to hold themselves up. This could cause them to pull off...
I was considering that idea for myself.

For the above picture maybe mortaring down a nice natural stone slab into that spot. If you could find one with a small lip that goes down a bit that would be even better.

Very similiar to the tile suggestion, but maybe more stable?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.