Test Kit Ordered!! BUT cloudiness present....

DMAN11

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA area
Hey guys,

Man, it's good to be back around the forum again. I bounced in and out over the cooler months, but now that swim time is nearing, we are hoping to enjoy our NEW pool this summer!!

To start off, our pool is a 16 X 32 inground vinyl liner sport pool that slopes from the ends at 3-1/2' each to middle at 5-1/2'. Pool builder shows it at 16,000 gallons....Is this correct? 1HP Hayward, Sand filter, Polaris 280, Polaris Salt Water Generator, 1 skimmer, 2 return jets.

I am having an issue like others with some cloudiness. We didn't close the pool over the cold months, since we don't really deal with "serious" freezing or anything here in Louisiana (except for the "freakish" 6 inches of snow this year). That was scary...

Anyways, after a huge rain, I did some backwash to lower the water level a bit so as not to get any water behind the liner. Is this OK to do at times? After the heavy rain, I noticed that the water got a little cloudy. I took a sample to our pb store (I know, I know,,,test kit is ordered...hehe), and they had me put in 4lbs of stabilizer, and 15lbs of Calcium Increaser. After a day or two, we still had a little cloudiness, so I put in a bottle of bleach into the skimmer and had it circulate throughout. This seemed to do the trick, the water cleared up and was fine. Maybe it was coincidence, or was it the bleach??

UNTIL, last week when we had another big rain. Same cenario, big rain,,,,backwash to lower water level, and cloudiness ocurred. Took a sample to the store, and same results... 4lbs of stabilizer, and 15 lbs of Calcium Increaser. Added these on Thursday of last week and nothing. Added a bottle of bleach on Sunday, and still nothing. My question is this,,,,should I add more bleach, or add something else.

Here are the results from the store last week: Will take another sample today if possible....

FC = 0.5 ppm
TC = 0.5 ppm
CC = 0.0 ppm
pH = 7.8
Hardness = 150 ppm
Alkalinity (w/stabilizer correction) = 138 ppm
Cyanuric Acid = 40 ppm
Copper = 0 ppm
Iron = 0 ppm
Total Dissolved Solids = Not Run

I know I need to go to pool school, and plan to do so,,, but I was wondering what you guys say.

Thanks guys,,,,,DMAN

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

Waterbear, I know, I know,,,,I'll get there, I promise....hehe

How can I get the FC up? Do I add more salt? Or do I add more bleach straight to the pool?

Does having a SWG make a difference in those levels?
Does the pb's figure on gallons sound correct?? They have us at about 16,000 gallons, or how important is this to be accurate?

Thanks again guys,,,,,,DMAN

As long as the SWG fails to maintain the correct FC level you need to supplement by adding bleach. Once things settle down you should be able to use the SWG alone.

It sounds like you are right on the edge of getting algae, it might be best to fully shock the pool (bring FC up to 15 until it remains stable overnight).

Longer term, there are various adjustments to your chemical levels to be made and the percentage on the SWG may need to be adjusted. Before you tackle that, be sure you don't have algae and do some more reading at Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.