Pressure gauge goes up and down...

May 31, 2015
edison/nj
Just when we had started enjoying the new pool(2days) I see that the returns are not working continuous.. The water in the pump basket goes up and starts but then again half of the water is drained out. When this happens the filter pressure gauge goes down to 0.. And the returns stop pumping out water. But in approx 5 mins this motor baskets fills up and the returns pumps out a lot..

Is this normal ? If not kindly help with the reasons and possible solutions..

thanks in advance...

The pump should stay completely full of water at all times. Check that your water level is high enough in the skimmer and that the skimmer weir is not getting suck.
That raises another question... The water level is going down ard1.5" in 1 week.. This happened few weeks back when our motor was not working.. The crew came back (who fixed the pool )and closed one of the returns near the steps and said things shod be fine.. Now that motor works and kid r swimming and it's been extremely hot in 90degree last week.. Made me think it's because of the heat evaporation and kids playing ..jump etc.. Do u think this is something to worry about ?I read somewhere on Internet that about quater inch of evaporates per day on a hot day..

The water is now just bat the skimmer lower frame..

Raise your water level to about half way up your skimmer opening, keep it there and I'll bet your problem goes away. Sounds like your skimmer doesn't have enough water to keep it filled and your pump is sucking it dry.

Those skimmers are hungry and you have to keep them fed.

It's called surging.

You suck the water out of the skimmer and lose prime. The basket goes empty, the pump stops pumping, and the pressure goes down. Then the water flows in enough, the pump primes and starts pumping, then it sucks the skimmer dry again and the whole cycle repeats. Its easy to fix. Just add water. And make sure the skimmer flapper isn't sticking on a twig or something because that will do it too.

You will burn the pump up if you kerp dry running it. They are expensive!
i know just bot one

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a main drain switch the suction to the drain or part drain part skimmer so it won't run dry.
I always to in half drain n half skimmer..
my doubt about evaporating is it valid?

- - - Updated - - -

It's called surging.

You suck the water out of the skimmer and lose prime. The basket goes empty, the pump stops pumping, and the pressure goes down. Then the water flows in enough, the pump primes and starts pumping, then it sucks the skimmer dry again and the whole cycle repeats. Its easy to fix. Just add water. And make sure the skimmer flapper isn't sticking on a twig or something because that will do it too.
I had just filled it up...do u think there is some leak in any pipe? Or it is just evaporation.. In this rate if water level goes down I will have to fill every 5 days..

i know just bot one

- - - Updated - - -

I always to in half drain n half skimmer..
my doubt about evaporating is it valid?

- - - Updated - - -

I had just filled it up...do u think there is some leak in any pipe? Or it is just evaporation.. In this rate if water level goes down I will have to fill every 5 days..
If it's been windy, 1.5" per week is reasonable.

A bucket test is the surefire way to tell. Directions are in Pool School - Leak Detection

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's called surging.

You saved me! My Weir door was stuck closed. I can't believe how easy this fix was. I know this is an old post, but I was having this exact problem for two days. I cleaned all the filters, including the 4 large canister filters and that didn't fix it. I just want to THANK YOU, Richard 320!

Is there a problem with just removing the skimmer doors, other than stuff leaving the skimmers when the pump is off?
My skimmers seemed to be slightly warped or something and the doors would get stuck easily, so I just removed them.
The doors help the skimming action by forcing only the surface water into the skimmer as well as keeping the debris in the skimmer. Removing the doors will not hurt anything beyond the effectiveness of the skimmer.

Is it possible for you to slightly trim the doors such that they will not get stuck any longer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.