Cloudy water after brushing but no CC present.

Jul 1, 2015
Canada
Last week for the first time Since May I brushed the floor of the pool and could see lots of green clouds being formed by the brush stroke. My understanding is that this is algae, I poured 10 litres of liquid chlorine into the pool last night and waited 24 hours to test the water while keeping the swg on super chlorinate. I tested the water today and the results are below. the water is still cloudy but the results show no CC... I am wondering what the problem could be?

FC: 2.4
CC: 0
PH: 7.2
TA: 100
Salt: 3050
CH: 210
CA: did not test as no stabilizer was added this season to the water.

Any suggestions?

Your problem would almost immediately appear to be that you have a very low FC level for sanitation, coupled with no CYA (stabilizer) to protect the FC. Therefore, the sun will oxidize your FC right away each day. Your SWG must be working overtime as well. You really need to add stabilizer then prepare to do a "SLAM" to remove the algae. The SLAM link is in my signature below. Use the Poolmath calculator to add enough CYA for a target of 30ppm, then start your SLAM as soon as you can following the link below. Follow that page carefully.

After you complete the SLAM, you should increase your CYA to the recommended 70-80 for a SWG pool. Hope this helps.

You are running an SWG without CYA in your water? Well your problem is algae. Without CYA your SWG is producing chlorine that is destroyed quickly by the sunlight.

You will need to SLAM your pool. Why haven't you added CYA to your pool, especially with an SWG?

Having similar problems and I have had to shock the pool, run the pump overnight, use the drains to recycle more than the skimmer, and add some fresh water. All of that and the greenish yellow powder, algae, is finally almost gone. I've also used some algae treatment from Leslie's which wasn't as effective as the other steps. Hope this helps.

I never added stabilizer this season and never had any problem with any sort of algae growth so based on that I did not see a reason to add it, only problem was that I brushed the floor recently and it made it cloudy. will do the slam and see where it gets me.

Based on your location, temperature, and the amount of sunlight your pool receives, that could explain why you have been fortunate to not need stabilizer, but that is typically quite rare unless someone has total shade or in indoor pool. Good luck on your SLAM. Follow those instructions carefully and you should be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With no CYA to moderate chlorine's strength, the active chlorine level will be quite high unless you keep your FC exceptionally low which is hard to do in sunlight. So if you plan on using the pool, just be aware of that. Even 1 ppm FC with no CYA is over 15 times higher in active chlorine level than the minimum FC/CYA level we recommend. So 1 day in such a pool with 1 ppm FC and no CYA is like being in our normal pools for 15 days.. Your swimsuits, skin, and hair will get oxidized that much faster. Taken to extreme (which I know you wouldn't do) it could be unhealthy as noted in the thread Chlorine Poisoned and pregnant, how bad is this?.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.