channeling in sand filter

well, it's just about time for me to get 'er up & runnin' again. at the end of last pool season i had to shut 'er down a little early due to poor filtering. it was suggested here at that time i should check for "channeling" in my sand filter. i plan to try to do so this weekend. now, my memeory ain't what it used to be, so could you tell me again just how i should go about it? thanx again, oh gurus of the pool.

Hi, Del,

Pretty simple, really. Take off the top and do a general inspection. The sand should be about 2/3 full in the filter and you should be able to break up the top surface with your hands.

If channeling has occured in your pool (pretty rare) there will literally be channels carved into the sand that allow the water to pass down to the laterals without being properly filtered.

Usually, you'll find some crudy junk on the top of your sand. Clean that all out and remake the top of the sand bed....smooth no clumps, no channels, no crud.....and you''ll be good to go. :-D

I found this post by Jason on another thread....

JasonLion said:
You don't need to replace the sand when it starts channelizing, you need to resettle it. This can be done by opening up the filter and very gently poking the sand everywhere with a gently running garden hose. Try to rinse all of the sand but be careful not to apply any significant pressure to the laterals (which are buried in the sand) with the garden hose. Any obvious debris should be removed, usually it will float to the top. Any clumps that have developed should be broken up. If there are clumps that you can't break up by hand then you must replace the sand, though that is very rare.

Hope this helps... :)

thanx y'all. i haven't been here in a long time (a long cold winter, it was) and forgot how quickly you can get a response here at TFP. it's nice to know you are all still here to help us out. i'll let you know how the filter thing works out. thanx again.
p.s...oh,and by the way, duraleigh is the guy with the test kits right? i'll be needing a few re-fills, so i'll see you over at your test kit sight in the next few days.

well, this pool season is starting off pretty bad. i went to check my sand filter for "channeling" this weekend as i discussed earlier, and now i think i'm screwed. i went to remove the "head assembly" from my filter to check the sand and found it hard to remove the head. i thought it was just stuck, so i pulled a little harder and finally got it off, but then i discovered why it was so hard to remove it. the pipe going down to the laterals is STUCK in the head assembly (don't know if "head assembly" is the proper term or not, but you get my drift,right?). while i was unknowingly pulling the laterals up through the sand, i broke one, which is no problem i suppose, as i can get a replacement, but what can i do to get the pipe going to the latereals un-stuck, so i can replace the sand and start over? why would it be stuck in the first place? am i just totally screwed here? has this happened to anyone else? help ! this pool is already driving me crazy and i haven't even STARTED. ARRRRRGH !!!

delfargo said:
well, this pool season is starting off pretty bad. i went to check my sand filter for "channeling" this weekend as i discussed earlier, and now i think i'm screwed. i went to remove the "head assembly" from my filter to check the sand and found it hard to remove the head. i thought it was just stuck, so i pulled a little harder and finally got it off, but then i discovered why it was so hard to remove it. the pipe going down to the laterals is STUCK in the head assembly (don't know if "head assembly" is the proper term or not, but you get my drift,right?). while i was unknowingly pulling the laterals up through the sand, i broke one, which is no problem i suppose, as i can get a replacement, but what can i do to get the pipe going to the latereals un-stuck, so i can replace the sand and start over? why would it be stuck in the first place? am i just totally screwed here? has this happened to anyone else? help ! this pool is already driving me crazy and i haven't even STARTED. ARRRRRGH !!!

Not quite sure if you have the pipe off or not. You say you pulled harder and it came off, then you say it's not. Likely just me misunderstanding what you're trying to say.

If still connected, I'm assuming that you've been able to unscrew the laterals and have the pipe come out of the filter making it easier to deal with. I'm thinking that you could cut it near the top of the pipe near the head assembly and find a fitting/connection that will make it easier to work with. Just a thought. Perhaps take it to your pool dealer and see what they suggest. Good luck!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.