Help diagnose splotches?

May 21, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi guys,

Big fan of the TFP method - for 2 1/2 years! Have not had to shock/slam at all!

Two problems left:
1. Calcium scale (been there since previous owner kept CH at 400 per pool store advice). I keep the CH low and the scale isn't getting any worse, maybe a little bit better.
Should I do anything about this? The scale doesn't seem to be any rougher than the pool surface itself.

2. Blotches appeared on steps. Tried scrubbing, placing a 3" chlorine puck overnight, still there.
Any ideas what to try next?

Here's the chemistry and some pics. (yes, those are footprints in the deep end. I don't know how or why!)

FC: 5.5 (keep it consistently between 4.5 and 5.5)
CC: 0.0
TA: 90
pH: 7.8 (keep lowering it to 7.6 but this pool wants to drift up and stay at 7.8)
CH: 175
CYA: 38 (as close as I can tell)

Thanks,
Steve

Splotch update:
So, this is funny. I put Vitamin C on the stain and it got DARKER.
Then I realized that I had used chewable vitamin C tablets with an ORANGE coloring.
So next I will try the chlorine puck again to see if it removes the new stain! And then probably try again with normal vitamin C.

Hi Kim - not at all - you're advice worked.
The ascorbic acid removed the original spot.
The dye in the tablets was deposited on the surface, and an hour of a tri-chlor puck sitting on it removed the dye

Thanks for your advice.

Any thoughts on how or whether to treat the whole pool with ascorbic acid to get rid of all the spots?

Thanks,
Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.