Filter letting water enter pump in closed position

S1ngram

Jun 7, 2014
St. Bernise, Indiana
I wasn't really quick about identifying this issue with my filtration system, it's been going on all season, but I though it was caused by other things like a bad shutoff valve or the filter being unlevel. Those things have been corrected. So now I need to figure this out.

Before I vacuum the pool, I like to clean the pump basket. I turn off the pump, turn my shutoff valve under the skimmer to the closed position and put the multiport valve on my filter to closed. I remove the pump lid and water just pours out. Up to this point, I have hurriedly cleaned the basket and put the lid back on. Is something broken in my valve? It hasn't even been used for 8 months and was stored in my basement over the winter.

The reason I rely on my filter to stop the water is that I don't have a shut off valve at the return yet. I have the parts I need to get one installed, I was just going to wait for closing to glue the PVC parts.

So it's really only an issue when I clean my pump basket once or twice a week. Any suggestions/ideas?

It sounds like water is coming from your pool, down the suction side hose into your pump and out the pump basket lid, right?

Plug the suction pipe......a tennis ball may work. Assuming the hole is deep enough, pressure from the pool water should hold it in place.

So you don't think it's coming from the return side and back into the pump? I thought I had that shutoff valve under my skimmer fixed. I'll have to check again. If it is my shutoff valve, why would it go bad so quickly? Does the rubber o-ring need to stay wet all the time? If that is the case, I know why it failed. I was such a goober, that I even brought my shutoff valve in for the winter, but I never lubed it or stored it to keep it from drying out.

water will flow from the suction side and also the return side.. if both are not blocked and the pump is below the water line it will come out of the pump untill you replace the lid... Ask me how I know :)

you could take the lid of, remove the basket, replace lid.. then clean the basket... then install the basket back in the pump...

hope that helps :)

Cowboycasey, I have cleaned my basket like that in the past (for the really thorough garden hose cleaning), but shouldn't putting the filter valve in the closed position stop the water? If not, then everything is just fine.

Duraleigh, I block the skimmer opening like you suggested and water still comes out of the pump basket. There is a definite gurgling sound coming from the valve part of the filter when the lid is off the pump. Then lots of air gets blown back into the pool when I turn things back on.

So, do I just leave it or do I have a problem?

Sorry to be so late to reply. I was wrong this AM.

Both the suction side and return side will need to be blocked inside the pool to stop the flow. That will become a pain after a while and you will probably want to install some valves to do that.

Cowboycasey, I have cleaned my basket like that in the past (for the really thorough garden hose cleaning), but shouldn't putting the filter valve in the closed position stop the water? If not, then everything is just fine.

Duraleigh, I block the skimmer opening like you suggested and water still comes out of the pump basket. There is a definite gurgling sound coming from the valve part of the filter when the lid is off the pump. Then lots of air gets blown back into the pool when I turn things back on.

So, do I just leave it or do I have a problem?

if you block both sides the water flow should stop after a minute or so...

you are going to get some or most of the water from inside your filter come out of the pump when the pump basket gets taken out... once air is in your lines/pump/filter your going to get some or all of that air going into the pool but once the filter is filled again it will stop... that is normal...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.