Freshwater chlorine generator

Strannik

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Here is a sneak peak of new Autochlor SWG (or should i say FWG?:D) which works at minimum salt level of 50 ppm 8)

Brochure: http://www.tdconsulting.com.au/manuals/Ecoline.pdf (3.37Mb)

ecoline.jpg

Wow. How does it compare to the regular units in terms of chlorine production, electrical consumption, flow rate, etc. at 50ppm salt (or is it really relying on the fact that most pools will already have 10x that amount)? In other words, spill the beans!

And this may be a separate thread, but I've seen patent applications for a generator that uses an isolated body of salt water to generate chlorine gas which is then injected into the system using a venturi, thus eliminating the need for high salt levels in the pool. Has Autochlor or the great nation of Australia ever dabbled in such a design? I'd imagine you guys probably thought of that 30-50 years ago. :-D

*Looks like they're actually making them now. Their site was theoretical 6 months ago: http://www.chlorine-generator.com/default.html

nah, they truly work on 50 ppm, as they are designed for all those applications listed in a brochure, rather than just swimming pools.

i'm yet to receive detailed technical information on these units as this is a brand new product, i only got the brochure today :)

With regards to what you are referring, this is what our Chlorogen line of products does. It used to be sold under Enviox brand for the past 8-10 years, but was recently revamped and now it's marketed under Chlorogen brand.

It has 2 tanks, one with salt brine, another for storage of resulting hypochlorite, which can then be connected to any dosing system.

You can see the pictures of it in a catalogue on our website.

EDIT: Sorry i stand corrected, i-chlor is not like our Chlorogen.They claim to produce pure gas, while we produce hypochlorite

The return of The Lectronator! Let's just hope that it doesn't have the same problems of the hydrogen gas outlet getting blocked and the resulting explosions! Seriously, looks like a nice unit and I'm sure it's not cheap in quality like The Lectornator. Basically, one unit has brine and generates hydrogen gas and chlorine gas. The other unit has a lye solution where the chlorine gas is added. That produces sodium hypochlorite. I'm not clear on how all of this is regulated so that you end up with chlorinating liquid that doesn't have too much excess lye in it.

The Econline brochure seems different, however. It just looks like standard electrolysis where some chlorine is produced from the low chloride level and oxygen gas and oxygen radicals are also produced. So disinfection isn't just from chlorine, but from short-lived oxygen radicals. The plates are probably very close together since the conductivity is low and I'm sure they've got proprietary coatings to make chlorine production more likely in spite of the low chloride levels.

Richard

Even before the Lectranator got going well the first time, there was an offline system, that had an open air brine tank that fed into a system. I'm struggling to remember it's name, but such is not "new technology".

If the system in the first posted picture is effective, my next question is will it be economical vs. the cost of salt, etc.?

budster said:
Even before the Lectranator got going well the first time, there was an offline system, that had an open air brine tank that fed into a system. I'm struggling to remember it's name, but such is not "new technology".

If the system in the first posted picture is effective, my next question is will it be economical vs. the cost of salt, etc.?
I believe Unichlor was one of the brine tank based systems and that there are others. Also, the first Intex units used a brine tank.
There are still commercial systems that use a brine tank to produce chlorine that are used on large commercial pool installations worldwide such as:
I-chlor which produces chlorine gas that is injected into the water that was mentioned above and seems to be in a class by itself.
http://www.chlorine-generator.com/default.html
Miox and AquaChlor which are more conventional offline brine systems. There are others also.

budster said:

yeah, systems with brine tank are by no means new technology, AIS as well as other companies have been manufacturing them for a while.

the system above is an inline system which does not use brine tanks, it is using whatever salt is in the water, hence it's applications in the treatment of water from different sources

at the moment the only other bit of information i have that most of the range is for commercial pools, with one unit being suitable for spa and there are plans to make one for residential pools

Got more info on these puppies.

They come in 2 flavors. One that is for swimming pools, works from 500ppm to 2000ppm.
Another is for water treatment, which works below 500ppm and is made to measure.

The ones for swimming pools currently are available across all our commercial range and there is a spa model (similar to RPMINI) for residential. The rest of residential range is currently going through various approvals, which will take some time.

As far as technical details go, power consumption is roughly the same as our salt water units.
The units have different cell design, and use completely different anode coating. This is why the upper limit is 2000ppm, as the anode will die very quickly if used with higher salinity levels (this is not covered by warranty).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's more than one line of products which is why things got confusing. The one you show above is Ecoline that operates as an in-line chlorinator that works at low salt levels from 50 to 2000 ppm. The existing Autochor brand is for salt levels of 2000 ppm or more. In addition, there's a Chlorogen brand for salt levels from 50 to 500 ppm, but that's an off-line chlorine generator system which is what I had initially thought you were showing (i.e. a brine-based or ocean water system generating sodium hypochlorite that gets injected). The photos in this thread are for Ecoline, but it's modular so that's why there can be more than one cell -- this is not necessary as one can purchase just one cell if needed. These are also commercial systems as their output starts at 110 g/h chlorine, but residential systems may be forthcoming.

So this Ecoline is exciting since it allows for the benefits of SWG chlorine generation at lower salt levels -- pretty much for any pool since the TDS in a plaster pool on startup is around 500 ppm or so.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.