First salt test, appears I'm creating salt!

flipr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2015
Punta Gorda, FL (SW FL)
New pool, 5 weeks old. Converted to salt this week, Monday. PB set the Pentair IC 40 at 60%, added salt and said to test frequently until we figure out the right settings. IC40 says green light on the salt ppm.

Just got the Taylor K-1766 test kit today. Pulled water sample and tested water in kitchen.
Salt came back over 4000 ppm, couldn't believe it, as pool shop said it was 3400 yesterday, and we added nothing.

Ran test again, noticed that with the first drop of the R-0718 I got something almost solid in bottom of tube, didn't clearly mix. IS that normal? Kit says nothing about it. As I was adding drops, it got very cloudy, but never pink salmon/brick red. 19 drops very cloudy, milky, funky sludge in the bottom, 20th drop turned brownish.

IS this normal with test kit? Like I said first test today after kit came in the mail.

As I side note, according to the powder chlorine test, its really cranking out chlorine. Yesterday at pool shop was 5, today with the TFT powder test, it reads 16!

I'm not sure if I believe the 16, so will take sample to store again tomorrow.

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks much

For me, the key to success with the K-1766 Salt Test is the SpeedStir. As you say, the salt test does have a thicker and sludge like appearance. You really have to keep swirling as you keep adding the R-0718. Unfortunately, I can't do three things at once.. Swirl, add the drops, and count. :cry: I find that using the Speedstir solves this problem for me. Mine always turns salmon pink first. If I continue to add drops it will turn brownish.

You have an IC40 set on 60% with a 9.6K gal pool. I would not at all be surprised to see an FC of 16. My pool is almost twice that size and I'm running at 50% or less. Of course that also depends on how long you are running the pump.

I suggest that you rely on your testing, and quit going to the pool store, it will only confuse things.

Jim R.

The salt test is +/- 400 ppm and the SWG is somewhere around that as well. The purpose of the salt test is to make sure that you are in the ballpark with salt, like within 800-1000 ppm or so. When an SWG gets old and starts to fail or the water temp drops below 60-70 it will report low salt error. Adding salt to correct the false error will not solve the problem and will result in too much salt in the pool. But, if the water is above 70 and the SWG is functioning normally then we don't really care what the salt test says. As they say, if the SWG is happy and making chlorine then we are all happy.

The Pentair Intellichlor is one of the more robust SWGs on the market. It will make chlorine with salt anywhere from below 3000 ppm to over 4500 ppm. When it flashes the low salt warning just add a bag of salt, brush it and wait a couple of days for it to fully dilute and the light will probably go off and all will be good for a while. Even if you get a high salt warning (above 4500 ppm) the IC40 will continue to make chlorine.

So I am seeing the same thing I think...my last 3 salt tests were 3600, 3200 and 4000 today. So, wondering how that salt number can go up like that...or...do I need to factor in the +/- accuracy and these readings aren't too out of whack. I am using the K-1766 kit as well.

The salt test is +/- 400 ppm and the SWG is somewhere around that as well. The purpose of the salt test is to make sure that you are in the ballpark with salt, like within 800-1000 ppm or so. When an SWG gets old and starts to fail or the water temp drops below 60-70 it will report low salt error. Adding salt to correct the false error will not solve the problem and will result in too much salt in the pool. But, if the water is above 70 and the SWG is functioning normally then we don't really care what the salt test says. As they say, if the SWG is happy and making chlorine then we are all happy.

The Pentair Intellichlor is one of the more robust SWGs on the market. It will make chlorine with salt anywhere from below 3000 ppm to over 4500 ppm. When it flashes the low salt warning just add a bag of salt, brush it and wait a couple of days for it to fully dilute and the light will probably go off and all will be good for a while. Even if you get a high salt warning (above 4500 ppm) the IC40 will continue to make chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.