Which concrete surface to use for pool sidewalks?

Exposed aggregate concrete will be slicker than brushed concrete simply because the aggregate used is almost always small river rock that is polished and rounded. Those exposed rocks will be slicker than a brushed concrete surface. I don't think it would be overly slick for a pool decking surface but I've never experienced it first hand. Might depend on the protrusion height of the stones after the cement wash out procedure.

Any concrete can be stained. You'll get the best results with a concrete that actually has the cement portion of the mixture dyed with additives rather than staining after the installation but both can be done.

All of our sidewalks to the pool decking were done in stained concrete with a rock salt finish. It looks great, especially when it rains and the color deepens a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to show an example, both the pool deck (acid wash finish) and the sidewalk (rock salt finish) used the same colorant in the cement mix. But they look different dry and wet. The picture below is dry, deck on top sidewalk on bottom.

A01C1BC8-4271-41C4-878A-194490F20156_zps2pbkzzam.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole deck is exposed aggragate and its even sealed, and I dont consider it to be too slick. I dont have brushed concrete, so I can't make that comparison.

As chuckiechan put it, "feels like a cheese grater", well maybe not quite that bad, but after a few hours, you will need your flip flops, and not because of the heat, but your feet get sore from walking barefoot on it after a while.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.