Sand in the pool

Jul 26, 2015
Whitesboro, TX
Not sure if this is common and ok. Every few days we find sand has accumulated in the bottom of the pool. Usually near the inlet jet. Is it common for sand filters to allow the sand into the pool? Or do I have a problem I need to deal with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

It is not normal.

When was the last time you opened your filter and looked inside? (I have not looked in mine since last summer so no worries if you have not looked inside it.)

When you backwash do you make sure to do a rinse before you put it back to filter.

Kim

Opened about a month ago when we added the Swg. Knew it needed sand added and just took advantage of having everything off. I backwashed just the other day as my pressure had jumped up after vacuuming the last batch of sand. And yes I then rinsed until the bulb was clear. It's not a ton of sand. Just a fine coating over about 5 to 7 days. So I thought I would ask the experts here.

Bought filter sand from home depot. Topped it off with what was left from one of the original bags.
And just fyi, this is a new pool and set up. At first I thought it was just the sand needing to settle in...but about 2 months later and I am still finding sand on the bottom of the pool.

So no channeling, has been rinsed after backwash......the next idea is not a fun one.......take the sand out and look REAL close at the pipe and laterals for chips and cracks.

It is up to you what you want to do. There has to be a reason the sand is coming into the pool.

I guess you could put something like a very fine bag around the return and vacuum the pool and see how much sand the bag catches as you vacuum. BUT all that will show is that your filter has a problem.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

What brand of sand? This is something I forgot about. It is a very important question.

Kim

Channeling is where the sand has "formed" into channels--it is hard and has formed "channels" where the water from the laterals has packed the sand so it does not really filter the water. This happens over time. Most of the time it can be fixed by doing a deep clean.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MimiGin the next time you are in your Home Depot where you got the sand you might want to look and see what kind of sand it was or maybe do a search online of your Home Depot and see if you can remember the kind with a visual to look at.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.