Scotch Plains, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
So I have a question for TF-100 users. The CYA test directions say to check the mark once you cannot longer see the black dot. Based on this instructions my CYA levels are around 30-40 PPM. However, based on the stabilizer dosage I added to the water and the pool store test results my CYA should be around 80 PPM. I google CYA test and watched a video on your tube of someone who appears to use the TF-100 CYA test and his directions are bit different and call for when the black dot almost disappear. I know per the TF-100 CYA test directions this is a subjective test. Can anyone shed some light on this test, as I want to ensure my CYA readings are accurate to keep the correct FC levels. Currently my FC level is 9PPM, which is a bit hight if my CYA is 80 PPM, but extremely high if my CYA level is 30-40 PPM. Is there a more accurate and less subjective test? I do no trust the pool stores, as I took the same sample to two different stores and one tested my CYA levels at 30 PPM and the other a 70PPM....It's crazy..I do not know what to trust now.

You are right to not trust the pool store testing for various reasons. Stick with yours. :) The dot should completely disappear.
Proper lighting is important for the CYA test. You want to test for CYA outside on a sunny day, but keep the skinny view tube in the shade. Taylor recommends standing in the sun with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

My CYA Level was 50 ppm. The stabilizer I used calls for 2 1/2 lbs for each 10,000 gallons for a 30 PPM CYA Level. I used 5 pounds as my pool is 20K gallons. However, please note that if I am not testing correctly, then I cannot rely on the 50 PPM.

Please disregard any pool store results and let's check your math. It sounds like you recently added CYA. What was your test result before you dosed and then how much did you dose?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. I will try that. Thanks.

You are right to not trust the pool store testing for various reasons. Stick with yours. :) The dot should completely disappear.

Not often, but we sometimes hear of people buying stabilizer but there is no REAL stabilizer in the box. I have always had trouble believing that but your story makes me wonder. I can think of no other reason.

I will keep this in mind. Thanks

Not often, but we sometimes hear of people buying stabilizer but there is no REAL stabilizer in the box. I have always had trouble believing that but your story makes me wonder. I can think of no other reason.

- - - Updated - - -

About three days ago.

How long ago did you add it? How did you add it to the pool?

I'm having the same issue. CYA was 35. I added 14 oz to a sock and put in in the skimmer. Its been over 2 weeks and I just retested and I'm getting virtually the same 35 which makes me wonder if I'm doing the test wrong, got bad product, or something else. I was expecting to get up to about 45-50 with what I added. Glad I'm not the only one.

I am switching brands and see what happens as I test based on the recommendations given.

I'm having the same issue. CYA was 35. I added 14 oz to a sock and put in in the skimmer. Its been over 2 weeks and I just retested and I'm getting virtually the same 35 which makes me wonder if I'm doing the test wrong, got bad product, or something else. I was expecting to get up to about 45-50 with what I added. Glad I'm not the only one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.