Anyone used Clorox Chlorine Stabilizer? (CYA granules)

tea

Aug 13, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
If so, have you seen a huge increase in CYA, over and above the instructions? Here's my story...

Earlier in the week, my pool would not register CYA. I could fill the tube until it runneth over, and I could always clearly see the dot. 20 was the lowest the test went, so I figured I was 10 if not lower.

Looking to slam, I needed stabilizer. I purchased the Clorox stabilizer at Lowe's.
My pool is between 25,000 and 23,000 gallons. (The shop that installed my liner has me in the system at 25,000. However, when I do 16x32 feet, by 6 feet average depth, I come out at 23,000.)
I added the stabilizer Thursday night. Friday morning my CYA was 60. This afternoon, it is registering at 80.
It was a 4 lb jug of stabilizer. I put all 4 lbs in, directly sprinkled into the skimmer, per the instructions. Here is the math on the bottle:

Gallons to get... /+10 ppm / +15ppm / +30ppm
4,000 / 5.3oz / 8 oz / 1 lb
12,000 / 1 lb / 1.5 lb / 3 lbs
16,000 / 1.2 lb / 2 lb / 4 lb

I am unsure if I am seeing a temporary boost, or if I really screwed this up. I was SLAMming using the calculation of 60. Now I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
That is odd. I used the calculator and determined that 4 lbs of stabilizer should raise your CYA by about 21 ppm. In addition, granular stabilizer when initially added, should not show-up on tests for a few days - not a full strength anyways. You don't have any tablets or pucks in use correct? You haven't added any other products to the waster other than regular liquid bleach?

Okay tea, well, take your time and try it again when you get a chance. If you haven't done this already, remember that after the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. Do it as much as you like just in case.

Remember that lighting really matters for this test - the recommendation is to do it outdoors, sun at your back, and with the viewing tube around waist level. If, by chance, you did the recent test in dimmer light, that could account for the dot disappearing sooner and giving you a false high result.

Reactions: BullishBear
I've experienced something similar with the Clorox CYA. However, the initial high readings weren't accurate as they came down to expected range within a few days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello and Welcome to TFP, :wave:

I do in fact use that use that brand myself and have never had an issue with it getting higher than I was anticipating. As others have mentioned Pool Math calculations based on your pool size is your best option to know how much you need to add. Also Stabilizer should Never be poured directly into the skimmer (lol even though the instructs happen to say it). Here at TFP we recommend the stabilizer be added via the sock method, by placing the stabilizer in a sock, and hang it in front of your return jet to dissolve and disperse that way.
Here is a link showing what the recommend sock method looks like. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/47551-Adding-Stabilizer

Regardless of what has occurred to raise your numbers higher than you expected, you are in good hands and the members can help you get it straightened out. Have a wonderful day and again welcome to TFP.

Oh and I'm sorry about the weird sizes of my words my reply thing is doing some funky stuff this morning, but LOL see there that too just goes to show that even though we are putting things in correctly, things don't always end up like we expected them too. But we'll help you get it fixed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have also been using the Clorox CYA since lowes switched from Kemtek to Clorox, or Clorox bought Kemtek or whatever happened. If anything I have had trouble maintaining adequate CYA levels this year. Given that the Stabilizer is 98-100% cyanuric acid it is impossible for it to add more than Poolmath says.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.