Calcium Hardness is high...Could it be from Nature2 Fusion?

May 14, 2014
Ripon, CA
I have a Nature2 Fusion chlorinator, but I really don't use it. There are two parts to this...the chlorine tab dispenser which I only use if I leave home for an extended period of time...and the Nature2 cartridge which I haven't replaced in a couple of years since I have started to use the Trouble Free Pool method. I just keep an old cartridge in the unit because you need something there to seal it.

My Calcium Hardness has been increasing over the last year or so and is now at 775. I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. Could it be from the old Nature2 cartridge?

I'm in the Central Valley of California and replacing water in the pool is a no-no due to drought. If I drain water from the pool, the water police will be on me like a ton of $%$#.

Is it possible to get a blank cartridge to replace the Nature2 cartridge? This would allow me to use the tab dispense part when needed but not use the mineral stuff in the Fusion unit.

Thanks!

I believe there is some calcium in those cartridges, but I don't think that is the issue. I assume you are topping your water off occasionally to counter evaporation, correct? If so then your calcium level will continuously increase as pure water evaporates while you replace it with water that has calcium in it. This seems to be a common issue in California with water restrictions and minimal rain.

It is possible to manage the pool with high CH, you just have to keep an eye on your CSI number primarily by keeping your pH on the low end. I have heard a few people have routed their downspouts to collect calcium free rain when the sky decides to open up. Richard320 is a good source of knowledge for this situation and how to manage it.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I think you may be right. I have an auto-fill and I just tested my city water coming from the house and it has CH of about 200-225. According to PoolMath, my CSI is currently -0.07 with goal of -0.46 so I guess that's not too bad. I'll keep an eye on that. Pray for rain!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.