Fixing Old Pool

Aug 22, 2015
florida
hey guys,

First post on here, I just bought an older house built in the 70s with a pool from the 80s or 90s that needs work. First im not getting enough suction when i hook up the vacuum so i have dirt on the floors, My pump is louder than a boeing 747 and there are some valves that i dont know what theyre for. There is duct tape on some of the piping as well.. I think i should replace some of the piping, newer pump maybe and im not to sure what else as this is my first pool. Any help would be greatly apprectiated, Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2388.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 73
Job #1 will be to clean the prefilter basket, the cartridge filter, and the skimmer basket. After all of this is done, and you still have low pressure, you can take the pump off the motor and check to see if it's plugged with debris.

Regarding the leaks, if they aren't too severe, I'd work on getting the pump system to work properly. Then after that, I'd tackle chemicals. But for the time being, I'd test the water and add liquid chlorine as needed to head off any algae blooms until you get things in shape.

I'd also recommend you order one of the Taylor test kits recommended here so we are all on the same page.

EDIT: Regarding that electrical wire to the pump... that could be done better down the road.

The 2 pipes coming out of the ground from the right look to be your suction lines - one coming from a skimmer and another from a main drain perhaps? The valves on those lines should allow you to adjust how much suction you receive from the skimmer or drain. You can play with those while trying to vacuum to see if that helps your vacuum suction. That small tower before your pump appears to be your pump skimmer basket. No clear lid, so you'll have to open to see if there is any debris or any obstructions. Make sure the lid O-ring is siliconed really well to prevent air from getting in. Of course open and pressure wash your cartridge filter real well.

At some point definitely replace the PVC piping before one of them ruptures and you lose all water to the pump. And as noted above, keep your water chlorinated to avoid algae. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies guys.. I just cleaned out all the skimmers and filter, cleaned all that out as mentioned above and still no more than 3 or 4 psi if the gauge on the filter works correctly. one of the valves just spins and the other is fully open but did not notice anymore suction.

Aside from perhaps repairing those old valves one day when you re-do your PVC plumbing, you may also want to replace the filter gauge just in case. I believe they have one on the TFTestkits.net web site. Also, don't rule-out that perhaps there is an obstruction in one of those pipes from the suction side - especially the skimmer pipe. Being an old house/pool, maybe something got sucked in there and is plugging the pipe a bit. You can always try to "snake" it out and see if it unclogs the pipe.

hey guys, im having to sell the house and havent been able to get to the pool yet. I gotta fix it this week. I have a motor/pump im going to replace plus most of the pvc. Looking at the above picture, I know what to do with the left side of the skimmer basket(pvc section) but not so sure what to do with the other part. The left part of that 3 way tee goes to a broken valve and a plastic valve, not really sure what its for? Can i get rid of it? Can I just repipe it from where the gauge is to pump? without the other section? Or should I just put a 3 way there and pipe is the same way. Just don't see a reason behind the other part other than it sucking up air

IMG_2388.jpg Hope this picture helps..

The part im having trouble with is where the T goes to the right, goes through a broken valve to a plastic ball joint valve to nothing..Im not sure why its there. Maybe to drain? idk i dont like it, all i can think its doing is sucking up air. Can i cut the entire part out when i repipe it? Thanks

Those pipes from the right are coming from the pool (suction side) going into the pump's strainer basket, so they wouldn't be a drain. I'm assuming one line coming-up from the ground is from your skimmer(s), and the other is maybe from a main drain. If you don't have a main drain, then perhaps a dedicate vacuum port perhaps? It would be good to know what those lines go to as a potential selling point for your pool once you get it all fixed-up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Only one pipe comes up from the ground goes to the 90 with the gauge on it then another 90 then to that T. Coming off the right side of that T the pipe doesn't go into the ground. Should I just repipe it the same with a plastic ball valve at the end or remove it?

I see now. The pipe closest to us in the pic (off the T) just goes into the grass correct? It has the round valve handle then the ball valve at the bottom in the grass. I'm not sure what is was for either unless the previous owners used it for a vacuum line above ground, or some original line is buried. But since it's not actively used, no sense confusing anyone. You could just remove that branch altogether I suppose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.