New Pool owner

Gan

Aug 22, 2015
Paramus, NJ
i got a 15' 42" INTEX vinyl a few weeks back. following are test numbers (tested on many days):

FC is 0 : has always measured to zero.

Ph has measured between 7.5 to 7.8

TA has been 80

TH has been 200 - 400

CYA is 30 - 50

Of all the above, FC has never changed. I have been using household bleach. The water looks good, have kept free of bugs, dirt etc.

Appreciate your advise if I should put any chemicals (always am wary of using those :( ).

-g

Welcome to TFP!

You have come to the right place for advice in caring for your new pool.

I'm going to make a suggestion. We have available a section called Pool School, linked on every page here. The getting started page is where you should start.

For your FC, get a gallon of bleach, and start adding a little each day, following the recommendations in Pool School. You can use the calculator to determine the amount you need to add.

I just want to add, this place is amazing! They are so much help. I'm learning so much here. I am a first time pool owner and was overwhelmed with what to do. Everyone here will guide you in the right directions.

Those test results look like they are from test strips, which are notoriously unreliable. At the least, pick up an OTO test kit (drop test, with yellow for chlorine on one side, and red for pH on the other side. And read this
Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

added - Where did the CYA come from - have you put any chemicals, other than bleach, into your pool after filling with water?

Thanks Charlie_R for your quick reply. I have been reading this forum and would continue. Thanks for your advice on FC.

Hi RuthN, thanks for your the assurance. I also felt the place here has genuine advisers and perhaps not with commercial bias etc. thanks much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.