Above ground pool heaters

Ok, here is my dilemma...
Being in SK, Canada. I only have 3-4 months to enjoy my pool (it's small), minus any rainy days, which generally happen for 3 days not including the cloud covered days. My "DIY" solar solution works well (22*C, I'm happy) if I have sun for a few days (thin hose in coils + sub pump + solar cover... laugh if you must), but if I have 3 days of cloud and rain, I lose major heat (4*C) (expected because it is a vinyl AGP). It takes too long to reheat.

That said... I have been looking at an electric heater system, which is not recommended for vinyl pools, I'm on an acreage without access to natural gas, and I have no idea about heating my pool because it is year 2 that I have had it. This year, i have a 2 YO and he becomes blue after 20 min in 22*C water, so...
I need help with choosing the best option for our situation.

I still consider myself a newbie; and am learning as I go... I have not found a thread that fits my dilemma. Please HELP!

If you don't have natural gas then a heat pump is your next best bet to supiliment your solar system. Propane is an option but will be expensive to run. Or you could invest in a large purpose built solar system they are much more effective than diy solar solutions.

Ok, here is my dilemma...
Being in SK, Canada. I only have 3-4 months to enjoy my pool (it's small), minus any rainy days, which generally happen for 3 days not including the cloud covered days. My "DIY" solar solution works well (22*C, I'm happy) if I have sun for a few days (thin hose in coils + sub pump + solar cover... laugh if you must), but if I have 3 days of cloud and rain, I lose major heat (4*C) (expected because it is a vinyl AGP). It takes too long to reheat.

That said... I have been looking at an electric heater system, which is not recommended for vinyl pools, I'm on an acreage without access to natural gas, and I have no idea about heating my pool because it is year 2 that I have had it. This year, i have a 2 YO and he becomes blue after 20 min in 22*C water, so...
I need help with choosing the best option for our situation.

I still consider myself a newbie; and am learning as I go... I have not found a thread that fits my dilemma. Please HELP!

I'm enjoying my pool and not looking forward to the winter months either. I'm thinking about buying a portable Intex spa and setting it up in my breezeway this winter. It's a lot less water to heat. I bet your two year old would love to play in some bubbles!

I'm enjoying my pool and not looking forward to the winter months either. I'm thinking about buying a portable Intex spa and setting it up in my breezeway this winter. It's a lot less water to heat. I bet your two year old would love to play in some bubbles!

We got one earlier this year and have really enjoyed it. But it's almost too hot to use it now, even after the sun goes down. Sitting outside in direct sun, I've seen it rise to as high as 108. The heater only goes to 104.

I'm looking forward to cooler weather, but I'm a bit dubious about its ability to keep the water hot once it gets really cold. It loses a couple of degrees per hour even now once you uncover it and turn the jets or bubbles on.

I may have to enclose it somehow this winter in order to help it maintain temperature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We got one earlier this year and have really enjoyed it. But it's almost too hot to use it now, even after the sun goes down. Sitting outside in direct sun, I've seen it rise to as high as 108. The heater only goes to 104.

I'm looking forward to cooler weather, but I'm a bit dubious about its ability to keep the water hot once it gets really cold. It loses a couple of degrees per hour even now once you uncover it and turn the jets or bubbles on.

I may have to enclose it somehow this winter in order to help it maintain temperature.

Well, that's all it took to tip me over the edge from thinking to purchasing! I just ordered one! I went with the Coleman, because of color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.