Pool Construction Question

Aug 21, 2015
Tampa, FL
Hey everyone. I am new to this forum and I will be closing on a pool home on Monday. I am looking to do a remodel on the existing in ground lap pool and spa. The existing lap pool and spa are rectangular and in line with each other lengthwise. the pool is 15'x5' and the spa is 10'X5'. I am considering adding a 4-6" tanning ledge along the side of the existing lap pool. The pump for the lap pool is not very powerful, so I am not sure how much I will use this feature anyway. My question to you guys is whether removing 6" of concrete along the 15' wall (existing light 2' deep) and adding a small tanning ledge is generally constructible? There are no other structures within the vicinity of where I would like to add the ledge, so I doubt nearby structures would factor in. I imagine they would have to rip our some of the concrete wall where it will be added. I have heard of people building them on their steps to avoid any demolition. Since this pool is pretty small as it is, that isn't really an option. I am also looking to extend my patio, put new tiles down, and re-line the pool. Is this something that I could reasonably expect a pool builder to be able to do for me?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Anything is possible with the right financial backing ;)
You need to maintain structural integrity, so the new area would have to be tied into the existing walls and rebar.
You just need to start talking to companies about the remodel ... but I have a feeling there might be sticker shock as this is not trivial since you are changing the shell of the pool.

Any changes to the general outline and any other existing walls is always going to be expensive because it is more complicated and involved than you might think as Jason correctly pointed out. Case in point, I just recently went through a pool remodel. We strongly considered having the attached spa removed/filled-in but to do it right and have it not look like there was a spa there involved adding a wall and everyone wanted north of $6k to do it. Yikes. We kept the spa. Gunite is expensive and the labor to build the rebar and tie it into the existing structure (the correct way to do it IMO) isn't cheap either.

Do your due diligence and get at least 3 quotes (we got 5). Often, the pool builder will have a landscaper he likes and he will handle all the stuff from the coping outwards and the pool guy handles all the stuff from the coping inwards. The good guys will have a lot of ideas for you to chew on and consider. Our complete gut of the pool (plaster jack-hammered off down to gunite) got us quotes from 20k to 30k so it was a wide disparity.

My landscaper charges $15/sqft for stamped concrete so that would be $7500 right there. I dunno about putting down stone. Maybe things are cheaper on other side of the U S of A? I wish you the best of luck staying in your budget but it can be very challenging.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.