Spa dam wall depth

Jul 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Is there a minimum distance (recommended or code) for sch 40 pipe to be enclosed by shotcrete? I'm planning on using Waterway power storm gunite jets in a new integrated spa, which require 9 1/2" or 10 1/2" depth, depending on fitting used from the loop. Would I be get away with these in a 12" dam wall? My drawings call for a 12" dam wall, which i assume is 12" rough, 13" finished (w/tile or plaster). That would give me 3" or 2" from the back of the jet body fitting to the outside of the shotcrete.

I need to make this decision very soon - steel is going in next week - any feedback would be appreciated.

3" is the typical cover required for proper concrete strength. This is more important on the compression (water) side than the tension side (earth) due to the rebar. Gunite is a little more forgiving in this respect than shotcrete or concrete because of the small aggregate size.

Try to maintain 3" as much as possible but remember this is an average measurement. If the tee's themselves are only 2" cover and the pipes are 3" cover this is generally acceptable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.