Noob and confused.

Aug 21, 2015
Redcar
Hi all!

I was recommended to come here from a user on Reddit regarding my recent purchase of a tub. We purchased a new 6 person fiesta here in the UK!

It was agreed with the company that we would receive some accessories for our tub. This included steps, chemicals, lid lifter and a few other smaller bits. It was also agreed that they would install the tub. So we paid the installation fee and received a date and time for it to be delivered and installed.

Now upon arriving; all the guys did was plonk it down where we wanted and drove off. What type of an installation is that? Plus to make matters worse they didn't even give half the kit! No chemicals and non of the extras except for the steps. Chemicals wasn't a big deal because we just ordered some off amazon for next day delivery. Fine not a problem.

Later that night the electrician came to wire up the tub. Only to find no hole to feed the wire... The instructions guide we had received wasn't even for our tub and is absolutely useless. We didn't know if we could drill it without voiding our warranty so we had to wait 2 days to get hold of the company. (Tub was delivered on Saturday).

Now we are left confused. The tub will be getting wired on Thursday and obviously we are eager to get stuck in so we can start to enjoy our new toy! I've found the correct manual online from the manufacturer and read through it. But it's not clear when it comes to the chemicals. I was wondering if you guys could help with some tips and tricks.

Also what are the advantages and disadvantages with chlorine vs bromine? Everyone keeps telling us to go bromine?

Many thanks in advanced.

You can use either bromine or chlorine in the spa. Both have their advantages. Check out these two threads that go into detail on how to use bromine or chlorine in your spa.
How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?)
How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)
The 3-step bromine method in that thread is the easiest as you just rely on a bromine tablet floater after initial start up. The 2-step bromine method and the chlorine method are essentially identical after initial start up. You can also go the route of a salt water chlorine generator specifically made for spas. If you're interested in that route, which makes daily sanitation easier, this companies products get good reviews here on TFP. ControlOMatc hot tub salt water systems

I prefer the chlorine method myself as I do not like the smell of a bromine tub but I'm also thinking about going with a SWCG set up in the near future to see how I like it.

Read through those two threads and if you have further questions, please ask!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I just wanted to say welcome, and good luck with your tub, JVTrain seems to have you covered on initial reading points.

Ike

p.s. on the chlorine /bromine topic, mine is chlorine with a drop in retrofit SWG (Saltron Mini)

Generally speaking, chlorine is better when you are using the spa every day or two while bromine is better if you use the spa infrequently such as only on weekends. The reason is that with bromine you can use bromine tabs to maintain a disinfectant level in between soaks (you still usually add an oxidizer after your soak unless your bather-load is light and you have an ozonator). With chlorine, you'd have to add it every day or two in between soaks (without an ozonator, you could perhaps add some chlorine once mid-week if soaking on weekends and of course also add it after each soak).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.