Accidentally ran pool pump dry (4-5 hours)

DIY

Aug 20, 2015
Southeastern PA
Hi Everyone,

My first post to the forum is a request for help! I needed to drain a portion of my pool to lower my CYA, and I forgot to turn off the auto timer for the pump/filter while it was refilling. So I came home yesterday to find the pump running (dry) and it had been on for 4-5 hours. It was smoking hot. I let it cool and managed to re-prime. It is 'working' BUT, I see a steady drip coming from the pump in the area between the basket (volute?) and the motor, and there is continuous air in the basket as well as bubbles coming from the return lines in the pool.

I have not dis-assembled. On the surface, nothing appears melted or warped but I'm assuming I damaged internal components. My questions are:

1. Is it possible to fix?

2. Is it difficult to remove / dis-assemble?

3. What should I check for/replace if I take it apart?

4. The pump is in its 8th season. Is it worth it to fix, or should I accept my (costly/stupid) mistake and replace? :( I don't know their lifespan.

Here's the current setup. It's a Pentair WhisperFlo (Model WFE-26)
20150820_191457.jpg

I can post more pictures, but wanted to get some initial thoughts...

Thanks in advance!

I did that a few weeks ago (wasn't intentionally lowered, but we had a dry summer)... Skimmed went totally dry, didn't notice.

I lost all water pressure, online said clogged impeller. Opened it up, the O-ring between diffuser an impeller came off, got sucked into impeller, impeller ring cracked and sucked in, and diffuser was shredded. This all seems really complicated, right?

Nope, hardest part of the job is disconnecting/reconnecting the motor (4 Screws or a sealing ring). The parts just stack.

My suggestion, is to order from a place that will take returns, EVERYTHING between the basket and the motor. Then, open the sucker up, replace anything warn, and replace the other parts.

It's an EASY fix, just have everything so you're not taking it apart constantly... it's annoying.

Thanks everyone for your guidance. I watched a few you tube videos and am comfortable taking the motor off and changing the seal(s) -- saw the 'GO' kit online and will order that. A couple of follow ups:

1. Can this wait until after the pool is closed or should I do now? (Planning on closing the pool right after Labor Day)

2. I also see water leaking from the top of the volute where the vertical PVC pipe is connected. The connector doesn't appear loose. Any thoughts?

Many thanks again!

I mean, I ran mine during this time. Over time the low flow and other problems let to algae blooms and other problems. If you can keep the pool going and safe to swim in, I don't see any reason to close the pool early if you're going to deal with it in a week plus.

The leak will cost you water. In terms of the leak at the top, I couldn't get it open after this, wasn't hand tighten/loosen-able. Big wrench, opened it up, lubed up gasket, tightened, and it was fine.

This is about a 90 minute job to do if you have all the parts (GO Kit, the Diffuser parts in case the problem spread).

I'm guessing I'll be told it isn't the TFP way, but if you're going to close the pool in two weeks, I'd do what I can to keep it going until then. Then be ready to redo everything in the spring before reopening, but I'm not a perfectionist with my pool, I want to swim, taking care of it is a means to an end in my mind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.