Need help with some old equipment, new pump sizing

Feb 18, 2014
Alta Loma, CA
Hey folks
we have a very old AO smith pump at my parents house. Recently the circuit breaker has tripped shortly after the pool pump had gone on, I know because the timer was just at the beginning of the 6 hour cycle. I flipped the breaker and it started to run. My suspicion is the pump which is very old anyways may be dying etc. I could be wrong about the reason for the circuit breaker to trip.

Lets assume the pump is dying. I am pretty certain it is currently running as a 110 pump. The OLD piping coming in and going back is 1.5 inches and metal. The newer piping that got plumbed in is 2 inches. We run the pump 6 hours a day and it is running a zodiac g3 pool cleaner without issues.

Here is my question, should I replace with a 1.5hp or go with a 1.0hp pump ? I ask because some of the older stuff moves less water than newer less powerful / more efficient motors. I just need it to run the zodiac and I am happy. I can even run it longer etc.

Also doing a quick ebay search there are many inexpensive pumps, should I avoid and go with a name brand ?

cheap ebay pump
In Ground Motor 1 5HP Swimming Pool Pump w Strainer High Flo Hi Rate Inground | eBay

brand name such as this
Hayward 1 HP Max Flo XL SP2307X10 Inground Swimming Pool Pump 115 230V | eBay pump.jpgpump2.jpgpump3.jpg

mas985 thanks for the input. If its a 1hp, would I even run it at the low power because currently the pump drives the zodiac g3 pool cleaner the whole time. That circulates the water well and cleans the pool. We are not really able to have the g3 run part time and then just skimmer as they would have to plug in and out the pool vac.

So is the pump drawing only from the cleaner without any bypass? If so, then you probably won't be able to run on low speed with the cleaner.

Correct, unlike my house with a newer pool where there is a separate connector for a pool cleaner, at my parents house there is only one hole that brings water to the pump, it does not even have a strainer in that hole. That same hole goes straight down to the bottom of the pool to suck water out of the bottom of the pool through the drain at the bottom. Sort of like a T sitting on its side. The flow is usually so high that there is a constant whirlpool and air is sucked in through that main hole. I simply stuck the pool cleaner on that hole. There is an adapter that sort of stops the flow from the bottom of the pool. So I guess what I am saying is the setup is so old, I cant really expect my elderly parents to plug the cleaner in and out. I would simply run at one speed. SO for that reason, I was considering a 1hp pump and it just runs longer. Would that be OK or better with the 1.5inch pipes and would that provide enough suction for a zodiac g3 pool cleaner or similar replacement unit ? Thanks

Sorry, lost track of this one. I would agree that your parents probably don't want to mess with a bypass let alone a two speed pump. The only benefit is when not using the cleaner but if that hardly ever happens, then there probably isn't a point to a two speed.

As for providing enough suction, I think nearly any single speed pump would do that. I have a 1/2 HP and have to bypass water around the cleaner when on full speed.

mas thank you, I think I will simply order a nice 1hp hayward and call it a day. I do not want to mess with a super cheap pump and parts will never be available or it simply wont be reliable. I rather pay more and get reliability, its a hassle messing with the pump in the first place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.