Goldsboro, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I noticed my water not circulating today so I went over to the pumping station and the pump was not running. I smelled a burning smell. The pump will not turn on. When I try to turn it on it sounds like it clicks, but nothing happens. Not 100% sure if that is the pump clicking or it tripping the breaker...

Any ideas? Has it bit the dust? I am not sure on the age, although I would guess at least 8 years old if not older.

Thanks and God bless!

-Matthew

I went back out and tried turning it on and it sounded like the pump was in a bind and trying to run. I took out the pump basket (with the power killed to the pump) and reached inside of it and turned the impeller. I then reassembled it and turned it on again. It still sounded like it was in a bind so I tapped the top of the pump and it started running. Does that help any with a diagnosis?

I'm afraid you're going to have to disassemble it in order to find out what's binding it,
If you don't notice any visible damage in the impeller area, it's likely a bearing issue.
If you have already smoke checked the motor, you may want to save your pennies, because even if you make repairs, you may be replacing the motor in the near future.

Good news! I grabbed the capacitor out of the pump this morning and had it checked at an electric motor shop. It tested as being bad. I went ahead and got a new one from them for $22 and we are back up and running! Thanks for the info and suggestions everyone!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.