How do I cut the GFCI plug on my intex plug and make it a normal plug

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hi guys. My intex pump has the GFCI plug. Like everyone else, everytime the timer goes off it makes the plug go from reset to test. I am using the woods outdoor mechanical timer which then is plugged into an outdoor GFCI bubble cover outlet. I've read on the forum that a bunch of people have cut that portion of the plug off and put a regular 3 prong plug on it. For someone that isn't handy like myself, how would you go about doing that? What specifically did you buy and how did you attach it? Pics would be helpful also since I am not handy. Thanks TFP!

My .02 cents, hire an electrician or find a neighbor that knows a bit about electricity. Electricity can kill very quickly and if you are stumped on this then I would hesitate giving you advice on what you need. It's not only the having the required parts but also the knowledge on how to make solid connections with the plug and wires.

Do not cut the GFCI unless the pump is connected to an outlet that is protected by another GFCI! Also, why not use the built-in timer in the Intex pump and avoid the problem altogether?

EDIT: sorry, read your sig and realized your pump probably doesn't have a timer. Then the best advise is to upgrade to a sandfilter/pump with timer

Well, actually, this is pretty simple. The pump runs on standard 120 Vac. You do, literally, cut the (offending) plug off, strip some insulation to reveal the 3 wires. There should be a black, white, and green (possibly bare copper) wire. Next buy yourself a plug at the local hardware store.

It should something look like this one: The one on the right is what you want. There will be several kinds to choose from but spend more than $3-4 to get a decent one...maybe even $5.

Inside the connector, you should find a green screw, silver screw, and a gold/brass screw. Black (hot) wire goes to the gold screw, the silver one gets the white and the green/bare gets the green screw. Here is a good picture tutorial: How To Replace The Plug On An Extension Cord Or Power Cord

This is really basic electrical stuff that I think anyone can handle.

However, as has already been pointed out, you MUST plug this into an outlet that is GFCI protected. Or you must plug this into a circuit that is protected by a GFCI breaker.

Your next learning phase will be on how to replace a non-GFCI duplex outlet with one that is GFCI protected. Again, this isn't difficult. Do-it-Yourself : GFCI Receptacle Installation - YouTube is pretty good.

OR you will need to replace the non-GFCI breaker with one that is GFCI protected. Another item that isn't difficult but you need your wits about you.

Google and YouTube are your friends. Do you have a meter that you can use to probe the outlet to make sure power is off?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.