New Pool Build - What Brand of Equipment?

mgmoore7

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
So that pool builder that I am working with is allowing me to choose whatever brand of equipment I would like. He usually uses Hayward and that would probably be fine but if I have a choice.... and the solar contractor that I spoke to recommended against the Hayward VS pump due to difficulty getting it to work with the solar automation. He recommended Pentair VS.

So, I could go a few ways. Use Hayward and deal with the possible issues of automation, I will get a suction based cleaner with the package if I go this way. Go with Pentair pump and Hayward for the rest. Go with all Pentair. Something else. I am not too concerned about the suction pool cleaner. Planning a robot later. Pool will be screened and won't mind cleaning it for a while until we get a robot.

It is easy to find specific reviews but comparison reviews are hard to find. Most PB have chosen what they like and recommend that. Most homeowners don't get the chance to experience many brands. Maybe a few over a long period of time and probably too long of a time to be valuable. Comparing a current VS Hayward to a 10 yr old other brand is not a equal comparison....

I did speak to a pool store owner that has been around a long time and I am not sure that they have caught up to current technology. Claim was that variable speed was not worth it and SWG was no good at all.....

Any thoughts, ideas?

As you have noted, I am a Pentair guy because my PB is Pentair guy. I am very happy with my Pentair VS pump. I have a Solartouch solar controller but wish I had done a little more research and gotten the Suntouch instead.

I have seen posts and comments about certain Hayward pumps working with or not working with certain pieces of Hayward automation. But, I do not recall the specifics. For no good reason, pool automation is a little tricky. There doesn't seem to be much standard programming or capability. It is definitely best to stay with same brand pump, automation and SWG. And do your homework up front on what will work with what.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.