Getting mild shock from hot tub

Veysma

Aug 16, 2015
Atlanta, Il
We have had our 2007 DE providence 2 hooked up and running for a week now. My husband and I decided to get in for a little bit after work today to relax and everything was fine. A little later this evening I decided to go out and test the water, stuck my hand in and felt a shock. I thought maybe my hands were cold and sensitive to the hot water so I tried again and got another shock. The same thing happened to my husband. The tub seems to be working just fine and the breaker did not trip either time. It did rain pretty heavily the night before and the concrete slab our hot tub is on was damp along with our wet flip flops. My husband went back out to check an hour later and felt nothing. I'm too afraid to go and check for myself. Has anyone had this happen before or have a clue as to what possibly could be going on? Not sure if I should call an electrician or if there's something going on with the tub itself.

It is hooked up to GFCI. It is an electric heating element, from the previous owners receipts he replace the heating element in October of 2012 with a long life heating element. He also provided us with a brand new spare heating element. I may have my husband take a look at ours tomorrow and see if it may have gone bad.

Thats weired. We had some flooding a couple of years back. When we came home the tub was standing in 5 inch of water. (normally it is 20 inch above the level of the "canal" - small waterway) I shut it down and when the water was down again I switched the electricity back on... With a shaking heart. But it was no problem and I never had any electrical issues sinces then.

As a non native English speaker I do not have a clue what GFCI means, sorry.

Thanks for writing it out and the translation! :D

GFCI are the normal standard here. Don't know any house here that does not have it...

I myself would call someone in to check the electricity. Not too fond of messing around myself, if there is a serious problem, there might be serious consequenses...

So I called a different electrician out the next day just to check everything out. Come to find out we are NOT hooked up to GFCI and the tub was not grounded. I'm so upset I could cry. I had my kids in there and if something would have happened I would be devastated. We had absolutely no idea things weren't done correctly. I'm not too happy that we will have $700-$800 in electrical when this is all said and done, but at least we figured out the problem and no one was hurt. When you hire a "professional" you don't think to question the work that has been done but now I know better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I called a different electrician out the next day just to check everything out. Come to find out we are NOT hooked up to GFCI and the tub was not grounded. I'm so upset I could cry. I had my kids in there and if something would have happened I would be devastated. We had absolutely no idea things weren't done correctly. I'm not too happy that we will have $700-$800 in electrical when this is all said and done, but at least we figured out the problem and no one was hurt. When you hire a "professional" you don't think to question the work that has been done but now I know better.

Great Catch and response !!! Was going to post the same your different Electrician found... "" Different "" electrician tells me you had someone else come out to install ? I would be on the phone getting answers as the GFCI and grounding is standard protocal and pretty sher its code so there might be a lawsuit in there. I would at minimum turn that person in to the better biz bureau before they kill someone....

Anyhow,, Glad everyone is OK !!! Spa Away !!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.