Chlorine Demand...it's going down down down...lol

eqbob

Jul 25, 2012
Central Texas
So not really a problem, but over the last few days, with lower temps and sunlight, my chlorine demand seems to be dropping dramatically. A week ago with 100+ temps for days on end (and a lower than optimal CYA) the salt cell was working at 55%. Of course that was still maintaining a level of FC upwards of 8-10 which was overkill for the CYA level, plus I had adjusted the CYA up to 70.

So over the past week or so, the chlorine levels have climbed up to 22 and I've been dropping the salt cell output by percentages to drop it. CYA is approx 70, so shock level FC is 28 so there's no issue there, but no need to be that high. So dropped salt cell to 45% last night and FC dropped to 18 today and I dropped it another 10% tonight, so we'll see what FC is tomorrow. I don't want to drop it too fast and get into trouble if the days spike hot, rain, etc.

Just interesting to me how th combination of getting CYA up and the decrease in the chlorine demand acted to raise the FC to a pretty high level.

So I'm adjusting. ( and I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing? lol)

Is there anything I'm missinng? (Assuming we'll judge on pool related items and not questionable items like mental status, etc...lol)

From the stated "required" levels, absolutely--I don't disagree. I can maintain that however with such very low SWG setting typically, I like the long pump run time for the water features, and it provides an abundance of "screw up" room is something happens. Factor of safety as it were. And it doesn't really cost me money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.