Low PSi maybe

My motor died the other night. I went and got a replacement motor. I purchase it last night and installed it. By the time I got done it was dark. This afternoon I got home pump was running I have it on a timer. I checked psi was four. I usally run at nine or ten. I am not sure if gauge is broken. I thought maybe had gasket in wrong or something. I broke it down again everything was fine. I am getting decent outlflow but I would feel better if PSi was higher. I called over to pool store talked to man who sold me motor he seems to think I am chasing broken gage. When I broke it down earlier I cleaned filter it's a cartridge was not that dirty cleaned it few weeks ago. The strainer basket is clean because it is brand new. I checked all connections nothing clogged. I mean hard to tell by looking at it but maybe I am being paranoid. Is there anything else I can try? He said if you put hand in front of return in pool and pushes your hand away should be okay. It does but not what I am used to. Also I don't look at psi every day if pump is running I don't look at it.

The pool is above ground 18 foot round about 8500 gallons

Hi-Flo II Side Discharge 48-Frame

Thank you

Did you check the impeller to see if anything is stuck in the vanes? Also, make sure you install the diffuser and impeller ring properly if the pump has one.

How about any changes in valve settings?

1380ken, the OP changed only the motor and if it wasn't wired properly, it would not run. Also, a motor change would not change PSI.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is either the gauge or something else in the plumbing has changed. Those are the only two possibilities for a filter pressure change with the same pump.

My motor died the other night. I went and got a replacement motor. I purchase it last night and installed it
Ok, so did you really mean that your got a replacement PUMP and not a replacement motor. Big difference and can explain the difference in pressure.

I sent a link above there is a motor attached sorry for the confusion. I called back over to pool store I got another guy he said try clearing cartridge. I know it's not that but tried it anyway. No change. It looks like water is not being sucked into the strainer basket fast enough.

If the new pump has a lower head curve than your previous pump, then the filter pressure will be lower and flow rates will be lower.

I am sorry to be so dense but not sure what you mean. I took the exact same inbound connection and attached it to new strainer basket. I took it off old strainer basket. The connection that goes to the filter is the same exact size and type as the old pump/motor had. I agree with you something is impacting flow rate but I can't figure out what it is the connections look the same as the original. I can't keep pool clean though the way it is operating now.

Different pump means different performance (i.e. different head curves). Has nothing to do with the way you install the pump.

In the link posted, it shows a head curve. It is probably lower than the old the pump's head curve so the new pump will produce lower flow rates and lower pressure on exactly the same plumbing. It has to do with the pump, not the plumbing.

This is a head curve:

Attachments

• chart_pump_hifloII_sidedischarge48.jpg
    chart_pump_hifloII_sidedischarge48.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 77
If it isn't performing the way you want it too, then maybe you should. But is it really not performing well? Low pressure and lower flow rates are a good thing, not a bad thing. Filters work better and you use less energy. Probably the most important aspect of flow rate is skimming. If the skimmer is working then there is probably no issue with lower flow rates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.