Clear rigid PVC

rdshackleford

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
Coatesville, PA
Since the summer season here in the northeast US is waning, I just wanted to post about a customization I made to my system this season that worked out very well. I replaced the PE, PVC, and ABS pipes around my pump and filter with clear rigid schedule 40 PVC pipe. The installation was easy, and the payback came in droves. When I operate the pump valve and motor control, I get instant feedback on what is going on. I don't have to run to the return or waste line endpoint to see what is happening.

https://goo.gl/photos/Zu2xdEyaXVBFkMXi8

I bought the pipe for about $20 plus the solvent. Also, the old school Hayward S240 filter has a clear polycarbonate dome on top that also helps. The 70's era S240 I had at my previous house did not, and I appreciate the 3 decades old upgrade. LOL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought 8' of 1 1/2" pipe for $27 at Zoro. Item # G1790476. The specs are on their website.

Also, I use flex PVC for my drain line. That comes in handy when the spider gasket on my multiport valve insists on leaking a little while in filter position. I just throw the drain line over to the edge of the pool.

Are we talking UV resistance out of fear that the PVC will get cloudy, or because of the water being exposed to UV?

Hmmm, now that I think of it that gives me a great idea. Clear PVC and some mirrors and boom, "All Natural UV Sanitation System"! No bulbs to replace, no electricity, and it cuts your chlorine use in half* Recommended by the most honest pool store employees! :twisted:

*Statement has not been evaluated by anybody who knows anything about pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.