Music outside

I used to have two outdoor speakers under our patio and two pool speakers connected to zone 2 on my Onkyo 7.2 receiver inside the house. They each had their own separate in wall volume control that impedance matched so I could run two speakers off each channel for 4 speakers total. It worked fine.
Then about two years ago, I wanted to revamp everything. I got a new receiver for inside the house and had another old 7.1 receiver from a friend.
Now I have 5.1 surround in the patio covered area where the TV is (2 front, 2 back, center channel and a subwoofer) for truly awesome movie nights, I added two speakers each to one of two arbor areas and upped the power to all the speakers by giving each their own separate channel. Each pair of speakers has its own in wall volume control.
I did this by using the main receiver as the 5.1 system and running the second receiver as the unpowered zone 2 from the main receiver - the main passes rca signals to the sub receiver which operates in 7 channel stereo. It is all hooked in to an Apple Airport Express that we stream wirelessly to from our phones, ipad, etc.
What all this means is that I have 11 speakers plus a subwoofer that can all be playing the same source at one master volume but you can adjust each zone manually with the volume control down from that volume. Keeps it simple because you don't have to break open the phone to adjust the volume for each zone that way.
Also, the TV area can be playing a movie, etc. and the arbors and pool speakers can be playing music simultaneously at their own independent volume.
We live in the country so it can be played as loud as I want. I LOVE this setup. It is really convenient, didn't cost much (you can get multichannel dedicated amps but they are expensive as heck) since I already had most of the gear and it is perfect for what we need. I also have more channels available if I can figure out where to put more speakers!

The one thing I will say is that if you don't have a subwoofer outside, add one before anything else. It makes the music sound so much better.

I like having multiple speakers because you can have the volume very low but there is music all around you and you can still socialize, etc.

We have BOSE outdoor wired speakers tapped into our BOSE home theater system which work great for us. They're mounted under the house soffits and since my yard is sloped the music can be rockin' yet you can have conversations too. They project over the entire yard in perfect stereo. Skippy believes the sound is better since they're wired versus wireless speakers.

I used to have two outdoor speakers under our patio and two pool speakers connected to zone 2 on my Onkyo 7.2 receiver inside the house. They each had their own separate in wall volume control that impedance matched so I could run two speakers off each channel for 4 speakers total. It worked fine.
Then about two years ago, I wanted to revamp everything. I got a new receiver for inside the house and had another old 7.1 receiver from a friend.
Now I have 5.1 surround in the patio covered area where the TV is (2 front, 2 back, center channel and a subwoofer) for truly awesome movie nights, I added two speakers each to one of two arbor areas and upped the power to all the speakers by giving each their own separate channel. Each pair of speakers has its own in wall volume control.
I did this by using the main receiver as the 5.1 system and running the second receiver as the unpowered zone 2 from the main receiver - the main passes rca signals to the sub receiver which operates in 7 channel stereo. It is all hooked in to an Apple Airport Express that we stream wirelessly to from our phones, ipad, etc.
What all this means is that I have 11 speakers plus a subwoofer that can all be playing the same source at one master volume but you can adjust each zone manually with the volume control down from that volume. Keeps it simple because you don't have to break open the phone to adjust the volume for each zone that way.
Also, the TV area can be playing a movie, etc. and the arbors and pool speakers can be playing music simultaneously at their own independent volume.
We live in the country so it can be played as loud as I want. I LOVE this setup. It is really convenient, didn't cost much (you can get multichannel dedicated amps but they are expensive as heck) since I already had most of the gear and it is perfect for what we need. I also have more channels available if I can figure out where to put more speakers!

The one thing I will say is that if you don't have a subwoofer outside, add one before anything else. It makes the music sound so much better.

I like having multiple speakers because you can have the volume very low but there is music all around you and you can still socialize, etc.

This is so over my head!! Sounds amazing!!

- - - Updated - - -

I sing like in the shower and then I have the entire yard to myself.

haha, well this might be us!!!

I built a "custom" blue-tooth speaker setup. Found the instructions and info on this site a couple years ago.

Around $120 for it and all from Amazon. Wired it into the crawl-space of house near pool, ran the speaker wires to a few outdoor speakers to get music into the screen porch and out into the pool patio and grill area. Listening year round using one of our mobile devices. So far so good, no issues and plenty of sound for that relaxing pool music!

Wireless bluetooth speakers that connect to any smartphone. Easy and cheap and provide decent sound. Use any music streaming app on your phone, I stream Sirius satellite radio to them with the Sirius app. I mainly use battery powered rechargable ones like the Jambox, Beats Pill or Bose Powerlink that you can set anywhere but they also make outdoor ones that connect to an outlet as well.

Amazon.com: Jawbone BIG JAMBOX Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Graphite Hex - Retail Packaging: Electronics

Amazon.com: Bose SoundLink Color Bluetooth Speaker (Black): Electronics

You can also get them disguised as rocks like these:

Amazon.com: Bluetooth Outdoor Rock Speaker (canyon sandstone) - stereo pair by Sound Appeal: Electronics

I bought a Big Blue Party Speaker from Brookstone. It is waterproof, wireless, Bluetooth and sounds amazing! Hooks up to any Bluetooth device. The sound is 360 and it is LOUD. So loud that in the evening I have to be very mindful about the speaker volume for my neighbors. If I am in the spa I can move it over there and put on something soothing and have it right by me so as not to disturb neighbors or if I have a big bash - I put it under one of the umbrellas by the pool, turn it up and you can hear it in my front yard!

I got it on sale - had a 20% off coupon and got free shipping. Can't beat it!

http://www.brookstone.com/big-blue-party-indoor-outdoor-bluetooth-speaker

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Amanda, you start the best threads!!! I'm going to hang onto this one for the future. We aren't too social, but if the last two weeks mean anything, that could be changing. Then we might want some music by the pool for all to hear.

For now, Nick and I each have our own waterproof earbuds and MP3 player (I think that's what they're called).

This is mine. Actually, I ordered these last year when I was using my neighbor's pool almost every day. They worked great then and are still going strong. The battery life is terrific.
Amazon.com: Waterfi Waterproof Apple iPod Shuffle with Short Cord Waterproof Headphones - Best Swimming MP3 Player (New Model) (Blue): Electronics

And Nick found these at Best Buy on sale (at least he told me they were on sale....). I was going to order him a shuffle like mine as a special surprise and give them to him the day our pool filled. He is a HUGE music aficionado - almost all genres. He loves, loves, loves, his music. One day before the pool was finished he saw these. I told him I would get them for him instead of the shuffle. He says they are just as good for less money. In fact he likes them better than my shuffle. And he's had 2 or 3 shuffles during his college days. He likes that they have no cords and fit behind his head. He just told me these on Amazon are the same we bought at Best Buy.
Amazon.com: Sony Walkman NWZW273S 4 GB Waterproof Sports MP3 Player (Black) with Swimming Earbuds: MP3 Players Accessories

I know this isn't what you meant by music outside, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case someone is interested.

Side note..... Nick said they were such a good price ($70 at the time) that we should get the last 2 they had. He said that I might need a backup pair. I guess you can guess the rest of the story. He has his metal/loud music on one set for when he runs. Then the backup set now holds his Bob Marley music for his cool down on the float in the pool. I'm just waiting for him to finagle me into a 3rd pair for when he smokes his cigar each evening - his classical and operas...... Yes, he's spoiled. But if you only knew what a terrific young man he is, you wouldn't be able to say no either!!!!

Happy listening everyone!
Suz.

There are 2 that just expired on the 14th and 17th - which means there will be more issued soon - If you sign up for their email stuff - they will send you coupons like once a week. The two that just expired was $25 off any $75 order and a 20% off entire order. They are really good coupons! And they will send you the magazines in the mail. They always have very cool electronic stuff.

There are 2 that just expired on the 14th and 17th - which means there will be more issued soon - If you sign up for their email stuff - they will send you coupons like once a week. The two that just expired was $25 off any $75 order and a 20% off entire order. They are really good coupons! And they will send you the magazines in the mail. They always have very cool electronic stuff.

Thanks, going to sign up

I ran wires from my Reciever in living room to 2 outdoor speakers hung under soffit. If you have an AV Reciever in your house and it has multiple zones, you can do this. If you don't, then use this as an excuse to get one lol
The speakers are 100 each JBL's and for the money they sound amazing

Even though it's not exactly set up yet (hopefully by the start of the week it will!) but I have the Sonarray by sonnance. 8 speakers that look like landscape lights and one sub that is buried. This will all be connected to my zone 2 on my receiver inside and controlled by Apples airplay system.

As with most things that I have chosen, I don't have really any reviews so hopefully it all works like I want it to!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.