Music outside

Even though it's not exactly set up yet (hopefully by the start of the week it will!) but I have the Sonarray by sonnance. 8 speakers that look like landscape lights and one sub that is buried. This will all be connected to my zone 2 on my receiver inside and controlled by Apples airplay system.

As with most things that I have chosen, I don't have really any reviews so hopefully it all works like I want it to!

Is this wireless?

No, you have to have them connected in sequence with some underground speaker wire. It's supposed to be pretty easy as long as you know where your receiver is. You can even hook them up to an outside marine grade receiver that are pretty cheap and can handle the outdoors, that way you don't have to worry about pulling wire into your house.

Hooked an airport express up to my old (but very nice) Onkyo receiver and I can operate everything from my Iphone (with our wifi). Don't cheap out on speakers-I bought to 6.5" Klipsch and 4 smaller JBL's- sounds amazing. Also, the tv on our pool house is run through the receiver

That is how I felt Amanda! We have a fancy setup in our house with an Onkyo Receiver that is setup for zones - perfect to run wires and do an outside system. But I remember what a pain in the butt that was to setup and run wires AND when something goes wrong it takes a mad scientist to figure it out. So I was pretty persistent that I wanted wireless aka foolproof :) I really do love my speaker - I also got the warranty on it - just in case it isn't as tough as I need - but so far it is. You might be able to go into the Mall and see one - they are very impressive.

Another good thread to follow! I actually just picked up a pair of these outdoor speakers that have a built-in amplifier with bluetooth.

Pyle Indoor/Outdoor BT Speakers-2 Colors - Sellout.Woot
Pyle%20Outdoor%20BT%20speakers_zpsaumemi9n.jpg

I plan on mounting these under our second story deck and aim them toward the pool. The power plug will be routed into an outlet in the garage. Since we'll have our phones by us we can easily stream music via bluetooth.

Another good thread to follow! I actually just picked up a pair of these outdoor speakers that have a built-in amplifier with bluetooth.

Pyle Indoor/Outdoor BT Speakers-2 Colors - Sellout.Woot
Pyle%20Outdoor%20BT%20speakers_zpsaumemi9n.jpg

I plan on mounting these under our second story deck and aim them toward the pool. The power plug will be routed into an outlet in the garage. Since we'll have our phones by us we can easily stream music via bluetooth.

Nice!

We have Bose hard wired outdoor speakers wired to our whole house Sonos system in the current house we bought. I do love Klipsch which I still have Forte's in my basement and had built ins in our basement in our old house. I bet the Kilpsch outdoor speakers are top notch.

Hooked an airport express...

Anyone running speakers off the AE's have connection issues? I've all but given up on the setup I have in my woodshop. Drops the connection or stutters at best within a few minutes of starting. Granted, I think is a first gen, and I have tried my third gen out there yet. Trying to add to my my Sonos Play 5.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Years ago, when I built the house we setup a pair of Yamaha speakers under the covered patio.
Also ran a L / R drop to where we setup the pool equipment pad.
These run back to the main living room receiver that can send anything out there; radio, internet streaming, bluetooth device(iPhone etc).
When we got around the pool build I ran two conduit runs for landscape speakers; one in our planter bed and one by the waterfall.
I plan to install a buried 360 full range speaker in the planter bed and a directional full range speaker by the waterfall.
I have noticed if I turn the patio speakers up loud enough for the kids by the pool, it directs too mach sound to my neighbors.
So when the new speakers go in I won't have to turn it up so high, and I will be able to direct the sound to the listeners better.

The other thing I am planning is a portable projector and screen so we can have movie nights lounging in the pool.

I have a pair of these Definitive Technology speakers attached to my pergola:

Amazon.com: Definitive Technology AW 6500 Outdoor Speaker (Single, Black): Electronics

They are wired to Zone 2 on my receiver (with Zone 3 powering speakers in my garage). I can control everything from my smartphone or tablet. I know there are probably more modern solutions (Sonos, etc), but this works perfectly for me. I've had bad experiences with Bluetooth speakers, so I avoid them at all costs.

We've had good luck with a simple but high quality portable Bose Bluetooth speaker. It does need to be carried out each time but for our purposes it works well. Anyone who has a Bluetooth device can provide the wireless source. Plenty loud for the pool area even with lots of people. The source does need to be somewhat close to the speaker (30' or less for us). I have the previous version the following.

https://www.bose.com/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/soundlink-bluetooth-speaker-iii.html

I hear lots of great reviews about Sonos products. If I wanted a more complete solution I'd look into that one. Hardwired is also good if your system is close by or can be operated remotely.

I have an Onkyo receiver running two 8 inch in-ceiling speakers and a 12" powered subwoofer. For video, I have a 50" panasonic tv, directv receiver and PS4. All the equipment is in the master closet controlled by an rf remote. Only downside to the setup is that the video is the same in the bedroom and outside. The sound can be selected independently.

@smracing -- Sooo you can watch 'Terminator' with "The Sound of Music" audio. Sweet.
Just kidding, mine is the same. Only way to have different Video is through a high end Receiver that allows for it or having a true 4x2 HDMI matrix switch (which I would not recommend).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.