The Pool Cleaner hangs on main drain

Aug 18, 2015
Lorena Texas
I just bought a two wheel The Pool Cleaner by Hayward. It is constantly getting stuck on the main drain and spends too much time in the deep end. Hayward suggested a drain cover ramp. They don't get very good reviews so I'm hesitant to spend the money unless I know something about them. Anyone here have experience with this problem and know how to fix it?

I got the Zodiac drain cover ramp. It gets knocked loose occasionally, but otherwise works.

Staying in the deep end can be caused by not having enough hose or not having the returns aimed toward the bottom.

does it have the knobby tires on it? I do not have a main drain so cant help there... when it hits the drain does it spin around and go a different direction or does it just spin in the same spot?

does it do it only on low speed or high speed also?

It has ribbed tires. It looks like it gets on top of the drain and the tires can't get enough traction to move forward. I don't think this cleaner is really designed for a vinyl pool. It won't even come close to climbing the walls.

It will climb them. If it falls off the walls, change to the tires for vinyl. Make sure you get plenty of RPMs and you play with the floats.

the vinyl ones have no bump in the tires.. if you have good suction it will climb the wall, trust me.. mine will climb my intex with the knobby tires and come completely out of the water on high but not on low...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just bought a two wheel The Pool Cleaner by Hayward. It is constantly getting stuck on the main drain and spends too much time in the deep end. Hayward suggested a drain cover ramp. They don't get very good reviews so I'm hesitant to spend the money unless I know something about them. Anyone here have experience with this problem and know how to fix it?

Had the exact same problem. To fix it I cut the end of a square eraser and put that underneath the rubber treads on both wheels to give the wheel a little bump of traction to get over that drain. With the bump on both wheels it doesn't affect it's cleaning ability. Far as the deep end is concerned make sure you have the recommend amount of tire RPM's.

You might want to read my thread about my experience with the Poolcleaner and vinyl pools. The issue is not the tire material. Rather it is the height of the tire treads. I solved my problem by significantly trimming off the tire treads.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.