Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DH took the cover off! *More Pics*

1. Back To Top    #1

DH took the cover off! *More Pics*

He must be wanting to take a brisk swim!

The pool looks fantasticly clear which I knew it would!

I use the TF100 test kit. 8)
    I closed in September 08' with:

FC 20 ppm
    CC 0
    TC 20
    PH 7.5
    TA 90
    CYA 50
    and a nice dose of algaecide

Todays readings:

FC 1.5
    CC .5
    TC 2
    PH 7.2
    TA 40
    CH 400
    CYA 0

Now the pic:

I added a gallon of bleach today and manually circulated with an oar for 20 minutes. I need to get to the store and pic up some BBB. I need to bump my PH and TA up along with the CYA but I'm happy. BBB has been so good to me, I would say virtually fool and idiot proof except for splashing my shirt a time or two. I love how my water sparkles. I can't wait to start the season!

I love this site and so does my pool! 8) Thank you to all who have made it a pleasant learning experience! I look forward to years of BBB'in it and showing proof that it works time after time!

Here's to a nice HOT summer!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: DH took the cover off!

Wow! That pool is stunning! Casey, I can't imagine opening up a pool that looks like that.

You are from this point on the "Guruess of Pool Openings" All Hail!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Way to go Casey!!!

Great pic and thanks for the BBB testimonial

I hope the weather cooperates and you can go swimming soon 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you duraleigh and waste!

I am a BBB believer! I opened to a crystal clear pool last year too!

Oh and waste, I don't think I'll be going swimming anytime soon. That water is c.o.l.d. ! WHEW! I will enjoy looking at it though! 8)

Thank you for your kind words!

5. Back To Top    #5

Congratulations!

Remember that the test results may change a little once you get the pump running and the water gets throughly mixed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for that tip Jason.

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks great, Casey!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

And to think, there are people out there that don't get their water that clear during the summer, much less in the WINTER!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you all so much for the comments on my sparkly winterized pool water! My pool, since fill up in June of 07' has never been sickly looking <cloudy or green>. The few years before this liner, it got cloudy one time but I was using strips to test then.

My neighbor asked when I was going to open and I told her DH took the cover off and she said I should be realllllly careful so it doesn't turn green <like hers - her's is actually black > I said it won't because I know what I'm doing! Even if I don't hook my pump up for another two weeks, I can keep it clear with bleach and an oar.

As I mentioned above, her pool is black and she keeps saying she's gonna dump algaecide in it! I told her all she needs is bleach but she insist that the algaecide will clear her pool. Okay. Do what you want because you won't listen to me.

Her pool is always green and cloudy and she prided herself on saying that she keeps the FC at or below 1ppm. Says her kids can't swim in chlorine because it breaks them out but her kids swim in my pool all summer... or atleast when they can't see the bottom of her pool <basically all summer>. They never break out while here and they even spend the night and never have I seen hivey kids from 5-7 ppm of FC from my pool. I think she just doesn't want to learn.

I have told my kids not to swim in her pool because it's so cloudy or it's green and also because of sanitation levels. I may sound over reactive but I really don't want my kids swimming in nasty water when they can swim here in crystal clear water. 8)

10. Back To Top    #10

You don't sound overreactive at all. I wouldn't either, and you're right she doesn't want to learn.

If she did ever open her eyes and her mind, she'd feel very guilty. Chances are that when she did increase the chlorine in her water to try and rid the green, it was the CC's her kids were reacting to, the unsanitary bacteria-filled water that caused their rash, not the chlorine at all.....

I think I once read that algaecide will eventually kill algae off but it's a much more time consuming and expensive route than good ole bleach. If she wants to waste her money and still have a green pool, to each his own, right?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

11. Back To Top    #11

I topped the pool off a couple days ago and finally added DE to the pump yesterday because it's s'pose to snow. I had to get r' done so the lines wouldn't freeze.

I haven't added bleach since I took the cover off. I did end up adding Baking Soda last night which brought my TA up to 80 and Borax this morning to bring the pH up a bit. I also added some CYA in a sock that I manipulated over the return to get it in there.

So I just swept the pool and here are the pics! I'm just waiting for the weather to get warm and I'll add the steps. <If I put them in now, the kids and dog will be beggin me to go in RIGHT NOW! >

That lil green spot is the original color of the liner.

BBB does work! Don't let any Pool Store tell and sell you anything different!

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: DH took the cover off! *More Pics*

I may sound over reactive...
    Not letting your kids swim in a swamp isn't over reactive, at least, not to us. Many, if not most, of us here don't even trust hotel and community pools, much less a neighbors green muck-tank.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

13. Back To Top    #13

I did the algaecide and a whole lot of chemicals about 2 years ago to get my pool clear. Leslies kept saying to use the shock when that didn't work to use this with the shock, etc. Two weeks and $200 my pool use still green. Not as green but still green. I went to the other pool store, Pool Doctor and she told me to just add chlorine. 3 jugs, 2 jugs and then 1. In 3 days it was clear with a little money. That is how I found this site.

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm glad to hear your pool cleared with 6 jugs of chlorine dd50. It's too bad you had to spend $200 on other stuff and not get the same results.

BBB works! Just look at my pool!

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes, your pool sure does look beautiful!

16. Back To Top    #16

Strange CYA drop

Congrats, Casey for a nice pool opening.
    I'm curious why your CYA dropped from 50 to 0. It has been suggested here that this can happen by bacteria at IG pools.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

17. Back To Top    #17

I don't think that anyone knows why CYA drops in some pools and not others. Bacteria that breaks down the CYA is the most popular hypothesis at this point, but it is far from confirmed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks water man. 8)

19. Back To Top    #19

Looking great!
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal