High CYA and yellow algae

Jul 13, 2014
Ohio
Hi Everyone,

When we purchased our pool, it came with a "Simple Salt" system, which requires some weekly additives. The initial fill was water from our town's fire department. We got it in late July of last year and closed it down in September. Last year was great, and so was this year for the most part. Recently though I've noticed some yellow algae building around the steps. After multi shocks, and sweepings, the algae is still there. Previously only testing for FC and PH, I decided (after reading this forum) to buy a test kit that tests more. Here is our latest test:

ALK: 200
PH: 8.4
HRD: 200
CYA: 200
FC: .5

Obviously CYA is through the roof, and PH is very high. I've read that my best option may be to partially drain the pool to get the CYA down. We're almost to September, and weather is in the low 80's. Do I drain and refill now, so I can balance out before winter? Or will winter kill the algae and I can worry about draining and refilling in the spring?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

-Mike

Use muratic acid to get the pH in line now, that can't wait.

It's up to you if you can live with algae in the water no to deal with it in the spring. Are you planning on sticking with your system or are you going to change methods?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.