Pump timer options

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
It's a brand new pool, and the PB installed a Hayward single-speed 1.5 hp pump controlled by a mechanical Intermatic timer. I turn the dial to set the time and then screw little pieces onto the edge of the dial to turn the pump on and off.

Does anyone make a digital timer that has a little more flexibility? I'd like to be able, for instance, to push one button and have the pump run for a half hour or an hour so I can add chlorine and not have to remember to go back out and turn off the pump. I would also like to be able to change the run times without using little pliers to unscrew and tighten the tiny screws. Haven't there been any advances in pool timer technology since the 1950's?

My pump and timer are inside the pool shed, not out in the open, so being waterproof is not a huge issue. And I don't care about controlling it with my iPad from the comfort of my living room. I just want to set the run times easily and add an hour here or there without making it a big deal. Any suggestions?

I hear that. The place I'm moving from has a great GE timer that has the little plastic pins you push or pull for setting however many
off / on times are possible in 24hrs. Just like the intermatic indoor wall plugin timers.

My new place, the pool timer is one of those metal timers you mention (and it doesn't work).

I really don't care for those and unfortunately they seem to be the most common now.

I've tried to find a new GE timer with the plastic pins, but the only alternatives I see are the more spendy
electronic timers on Amazon. You might look there.

ggrrr

Uh huh....they make for some handy things to have around! The long thin tips make picking up those timer triggers easy for our big clumsy fingers when dropped in the timer. I keep a pair inside the Intermatic timer box.

A friend used a couple pair on her car for an impromptu antennae and others I know have been known to use them as roach clips.... just handy to have around! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.